eBay has an image problem (literally)

Incoming rant (I realise eBay won't read this, but I'm annoyed).

Can someone give me one (just one) good reason why eBay puts a grey tint over photos on storefronts now? eBay says they prefer clean, white backgrounds wherever possible, so I comply - and then I upload my images with their clean, white backgrounds and eBay tints them grey and compresses them to such a degree that they look like the back window of my car before I put the demister on when it rains.

Listing images are important, and mine look like trash through no fault of my own. I've hit the thumbs down on the "rate this store" and left an angry comment at least a dozen times (mostly just to make myself feel better). WHAT is the reason to intentionally make listing photos look dull and grey? Seriously.

Betsy doesn't do this, and over at Betsy's, everything looks better. I put my eBay and Betsy side-by-side, and the difference is marked. Images are clear. Images have white backgrounds. It's such a tease, because that is how I WANT my eBay store to look (and how I feel it SHOULD look).

Maybe this doesn't matter so much to other sellers, but my items are eye candy - how they look is very important and I can't think of a single valid reason why they tint them grey.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

My listings aren't dull & grey (AFAIK)...can't check yours as you are using a 'posting avatar"...you have hit 'thumbs down' on your own store???? OMG....why would you do that? Maybe that's the problem???

Something's not right....

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:

My listings aren't dull & grey (AFAIK)...can't check yours as you are using a 'posting avatar"...you have hit 'thumbs down' on your own store???? OMG....why would you do that? Maybe that's the problem???

Something's not right....

No, it gives you an option to specify who you are and what you're rating (so in my case, "the seller rating the store page design" or something). I'm not that much of a self-saboteur 🤣

Idk, do you have white backgrounds on your images? 'Cos mine are pure white (I remove the backgrounds) and it does it to mine (sorry, can't link ... not confident enough to oust my store on this forum as there are some crazies, yourself excluded of course).

It's a good point though, maybe I'll tint them grey myself and see if it still happens

ETA: just checked and it does do it to yours (the grey frame around your images). It's just not as noticeable because you have actual backgrounds (which is something I am now considering doing)

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

yes, I've never deleted backgrounds as I want buyers to see the edges of my books.....but also, I do not trust eBay to publish properly.....good luck!

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I just signed out & visited my own store....everything looks the same to me....I don't understand what you are seeing....I am on a laptop, using Edge??

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

https://i.imgur.com/02zgXq1.jpg

I don't know how to link to images on here (and mods, please remove the image link if it's not allowed) but the one on the left is the storefront one, and the one on the right is the normal listing page.

As I said, it's not so noticeable on yours, but you can see the grey on the left one and the white on the right one. And so, as I have white backgrounds, it's super noticeable on my images (makes them look dull because it's actually an overlay)

Evidently I'm just going to have to edit all my images because it really bugs 😒

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Can not say I have ever taken notice,  Just  viewed  Twyns items,  if I view via, view listings they show as white border, but then if I view via twyns store, the border is shaded until I actually select an individual item and then it reverts to white.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

the one on the left looks slightly more 'crisper' to me??

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I don’t actually notice the white edge or the grey edge…. What I notice most is the dull tan background you have the book sitting on (maybe a benchtop or something) 

sorry….. but honest. 

13EFB4BB-0ED6-40EF-BCE5-2C664E42BA9A.jpeg

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Now I see what you're all talking about....like janeababe, I never noticed until now.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply