eBay issuing incorrect seller monthly invoices, GST on postage not stated

This effects sellers who are GST registered and buying postage using eBay labels. The eBay seller monthly invoices are not correct.

GST is being charged on postage for GST exempt sellers - and not stated GST is inclusive. eBay started billing seller fees GST from the 1/07/2018.

eBay postage is itemised on invoice as "Shipping fees disbursed".

If you have an ABN and are GST registered you can provide your ABN to eBay and you will be exempt from GST on seller fees.

However, the GST is still charged on eBay postage. eBay needs to remove GST from the shipping fees disbursed or explicity state that this item includes GST. This is necessary so sellers can claim GST on their BAS returns.

On an item's print postage page underneath price in small print it states "All prices quoted are inclusive of GST." It is also stated postage charged is GST inclusive on the help page here: https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/ebay-for-business/ebay-postage-labels. eBay chat support were unaware of this and required screenshots.

I have contacted eBay support three times and they are completely confused on the issue. They have told me to contact Australia Post even though eBay is the biller. I asked them to forward my inquiry to their experts. They have not replied to my last two emails. I am not hopeful of getting an adequate response from eBay, but maybe one of the the moderaters for this board will take note.

I will next contact Australia Post and report eBay's issuance of incorrect tax invoices to the Australian Tax Office.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are not contacting ebay on the boards and they do not read here.

The Moderators do not report to ebay about what is posted here.

I think you will find that ebay is not remitting the GST on posyage to the ATO...that is your responsibility on your BAS.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

lyndal1838 I posted here to get feedback from other sellers and maybe if lucky a moderator will chime in.

I think you misunderstand. From the seller's point of view this is regaring GST credits on postage paid to eBay. This is for postage ebay charges sellers when you use the "print postage label" in sales view. This is for the fixed price Australia Post eBay satchels, see here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australia-Post-eBay-Flat-Rate-Satchel-500g-5-bag-pk/162122486661?

The problem here is GST is charged on the eBay postage - but eBay is failing to state that on monthly invoices. This means sellers won't be able to claim a GST credit on their BAS because the eBay invoice is incorrect.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

@im_excited!! wrote:

The problem here is GST is charged on the eBay postage - but eBay is failing to state that on monthly invoices. This means sellers won't be able to claim a GST credit on their BAS because the eBay invoice is incorrect.

I'm only newly registered, so definitely still have some learning to do, but does this make any difference?

From the ATO website:

"You must have a tax invoice to claim a GST credit for purchases that cost more than A$82.50 (including GST)."

i.e. Would not each label purchase be a separate purchase? I understand that the tally can be over $82.50, but indvidually most (if not all) labels would be under, and you'd have separate records via each "postage label created" email.

It goes on further to say:

To claim a GST credit for purchases that cost A$82.50 or less (including GST), you should have one of the following:

a tax invoice
a cash register docket
a receipt
an invoice.

If you can't get one of these, keep a record of the purchase, such as a diary entry with:

the name and ABN of the supplier
the date of purchase
a description of the items purchased
the amount paid.

If the above doesn't apply, then this bit surely would: Your supplier has 28 days to provide you with a tax invoice after you request one. (i.e. eBay are obligated to provide you with a tax invoice if you request one). 

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/Claiming-GST-credits/When-you-can-claim-a-GST-credit/

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Moderators do not "chime in" on discussions on the boards.

Their sole purpose is to keep the posters in line and see that posting rules are not broken.

I do understand.....I have just done our BAS.

The postage is going to AP so you claim the GST as you would for any postage bought from the post office.

If ebay was doing anything wrong you can bet it would have been picked up before now.....ebay postage labels are not new.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

digital*ghost eBay totals all the postage you purchase for the month into a single charge on your monthly invoice. So for many that will be more than $82.50 which means you will require a proper tax invoice from eBay.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

@im_excited!! wrote:

digital*ghost eBay totals all the postage you purchase for the month into a single charge on your monthly invoice. So for many that will be more than $82.50 which means you will require a proper tax invoice from eBay.

I understand that, but each label is still actually purchased separately, and each one generates its own record via the email that gets sent - I don't know if that means they will qualify in the ATO's eyes as individual purchases, but the info suggests (at least to me) that it might. Like I said, though, I'm still learning and I haven't even done my first BAS yet, so I'm the opposite of an expert and still have a lot of questions myself. 

eBay actually add 15c per label, which does make it a little bit more complicated maybe (eg I bought a BX1 label today, which costs $7.55, however the 'real' postage cost is $7.40 so the GST component would be 67c, not ~68c. This stuff is not itemised anywhere, and the labels cost the same whether you're GST registered or not, so an itemised invoice would be handly regardless. 

For now I can only suggest contacting eBay and requesting a tax invoice, and / or contacting the ATO to see what they say you'll need.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

eBay have a partnership with AP for postage purchased via eBay. eBay are doing the billing and therefore responsible for issuing the tax invoices. To claim a GST credit on your BAS you need a valid tax invoice if over $82.50. eBay monthly invoices charge GST on the postage - the problem is it does not state the amount is GST inclusive and therefore it is not a compliant tax invoice. Apparently this error has existed for a long time.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

digital*ghost I just checked one of those confirmation emails you receive after purchasing a label - and they are not sufficent either, they only state the amount, GST is not stated at all.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

I know, but wouldn't it still support the notion that they are individual purchases, and if each one is under $82.50, the tax invoice is not mandatory for claiming a GST credit?

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply