eBay out of touch will International Delivery times during COVID-19

eBay has taken steps to support the challenges COVID-19 has presented sellers but is still very out of touch with what is actually occurring, especially with the delays to international shipping timeframes to the USA .

As at 13/06/20 eBay states:

=====================================================

We are aware that there are delays to international deliveries during this time, which vary by destination country. With this in mind, we have extended the maximum delivery estimate on international postage services by:

• +2 days for courier services from Australia 
  • Up to 15 for express services from Australia 
  • Up to 50 days for standard services from Australia 
  • +7 days for all services from New Zealand 

These extensions are in line with Australia & New Zealand Post’s international delivery estimates. This should help you manage your buyers’ expectations and safely fulfil your international orders.

As at 13/06/20 Australia Post States:

==========================================================

For express services to the USA it's 7-20 business days

Source: Australia Post Website under Corona Virus impact for International deliveires

So the eBay statement which it says "These extensions are in line with Australia & New Zealand Post’s international delivery estimates" on face value do not appear true or at minimum aligned.

Furthermore, Australia Post's estimates have been way off for us, some taking up to 60+ days to arrive when sent express, although these were for deliveries sent late March when COVID-19 impacts really started to kick in.

The biggest issue is when parcels don't arrive within the timeframe eBay says and the customer raises a case. Quite often the parcels are waiting for days to weeks to get on a plane and shows no movement which eBay translates to the parcel being lost and finds in favour of the customer.

Once the parcel finally arrived 30 days has past, customer keep goods, eBay won't accept an appeal and seller loses out.

We have had several parcels arrive after the 30 day case appeal period and the customer has accepted the goods and still refused to pay and eBay doesn't want to know or help the seller.

When you speak to eBay you get the "yes we understand, this is frustrating" but we can't help you treatment.

Keen know know other people’s experiences on this and how well eBay has supported sellers.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: eBay out of touch will International Delivery times during COVID-19

The irony is that switching off international shipping now is too late as delivery times are slowly returning to normal.

95% of the dozens of INR cases we got hit with are from the mid March to late April period.  By the time these INR cases started to get opened it was too late - the floodgates had been opened.

We have not changed out international shipping policy and and when we process such orders we send an email to the buyer alerting them to the likliehood of delivery delays.  So far this approach seems to be working.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Of all our international buyers we find the USA lot the most difficult.  Their ignorance of the severity of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the global  (and their own) mail system is astounding.  We had one buyer who kept insisting his purchase is lost in the mail - they could not understand the concept the mail system was compromised because of COVID-19

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Whilst international shipping accounts for 30-40% of my volume, I've switched it off for now, especially after I started getting INR cases some weeks ago for items sent at the beginning of April.

Simply not worth the hassle, stress and financial loss.

I've also increased my handling time to around 10-15 days to take into account any late domestic deliveries.

Smart move. I have cancelled all my sales for the very reasons you mention. I also don't want to be out and about posting items while there are those determined to start another wave of the virus.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

ebay is out of date with local delivery time

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply