eBay's VeRO Program.. ..

I have a seller who has copied my listing photos. As my polite email to the seller has been ignored I called eBay CS who advised me to file an NoCI through their VeRO program, which I have done 

From what I understand once eBay process the NoCI I will automatically be a member of VeRO.... my question is this, is there any of you guys a member and how effective is it for the smaller seller in stopping other sellers copying their listings & photos?

Smiley Happy 

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.
Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: eBay's VeRO Program.. ..

I'm definately opted out of photo sharing... It may sound harsh, but people should take their own photos to represent what they sell !

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

If you want to protect your photos you should have the watermark across the image, not down in the corner.

No-one can tell what the watermark is on the other seller's photos.

I am pretty sure the VeRO program is not going to do you any good at all if you are not protecting the brand name.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

Ah well it's worth a try... the customer support guy did tell me that the only way to stop listing plagiarism was to go through the VeRO program.

There used to be a link on the listing itself to report any one copying photos or descriptions. Another one of ebays changes ! 

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

Ebay changed the policy some time ago.  So disappointing.

I haven't tried the VeRO program but I did download the forms recently, however the seller took down my photos in the meantime.  Looking at the form, it seems pretty straightforward and the questions seem to cover the theft of photos and text.  I would give it a go but I don't know how quick it is.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

@lizzys-allsorts wrote:

I'm definately opted out of photo sharing... 

Just to clarify this... Opting in means eBay can select your images and use them in their catalogue (you're only granting eBay permission to use the photos, and you would be notified if eBay had used them). 

If eBay include images in their catalogue, they're available to everyone when they sell the same product (via the catalogue and images)

If eBay does not include them in their catalogue, the copyright on original photos remains exactly the same as when you aren't opted in. That is, opting in doesn't suddenly give everyone the "ok" to steal images, and it would be a breach of copyright for someone (anyone other than eBay) to steal and use the images. 

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

My own experience is that VeRO is useless, and not worth bothering with...

There's a seller who is using two of my photos on items he's selling - one is a sheet of fake "stamps", the other a fake postal cover. The vast majority of the items in his store are photos lifted from the 'Net, inkjet printed, and sold as "Old Historic Photo". His negative feedback tells the story.

I filled out the VeRO Notice Of Infringement, and awaited action from eBay. Which I got, in the form of an e-mail telling me that as I was in Australia, I had to fill out a different NOI form which required a witness signature.

Why not tell me that at the time, instead of days later? 

It also stated that I hadn't given "specific clarifications" about my copyrights. All the form asked for was the URL of my image, the URL of the offending listing, and region in which the item was copyrighted (as it was uploaded to a US website, I gave the US as the region).

Best of all, they stated that I had to supply an e-mail address for contact with the seller - I don't want contact with the seller. He's a thief who is using my content illegally, and making money off it. Any contact with him will be abusive and threatening from my end.

I choose to avoid that. Ebay are forcing it on me.

Save your time...

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

You don't need to go through the VERO program to report another seller using your photos.

Just end ebay the Item Number of your liting and the other seller's listing.

That should see it sorted.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

No Lyndal, eBay will not 'sort it out', they don't get involved with these disputes anymore.  That is why the link through the report button is no longer there.  Ebay advise to go through the VeRO program.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

since when do you need PERMISSION to sell items from a BRAND or otherwise.

the VERO system is nothing more then a way for big players to try control small sellers with MISUSE of copyright law, most of which are not even local.

false vERO claims are not new... and eBay has done little about it to protect sellers.

it comes down to wording and not misleading the customer and fair use!

for example:

-the customer should not think you are the brand or represent the brand or its network.

-you can use picture and info, logos etc to represent the product for sale as long as its not misleading.

-adding something like “private sale not affiliated with xyz” may cover this.

oten the claims have weak foundation and they rely on compliance
Fight back against these false claims, because its misused often.

Helpful links

www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2017C00180

www.copyright.com.au/about-copyright

www.copyright.org.au

FAIR USE:
www.alrc.gov.au/publication/copyright-and-the-digital-economy-dp-79/4-the-case-for-fair-use-in-austr...

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply