eBay supporting fraud

Has anyone had an issue with eBay supporting a scam? I sold 3 items valued at $1820. Sent them off to China where the buyer states they were faulty. Little did he know I have Australian certification to state they were overhauled and in working condition. I won the dispute he raised and the money was released. I then went on a getaway with my family, and in this time he has disputed ebays decision, and only due to the fact I did not reply he was given a full refund and is completely unresponsive. I’ve sent him 7 messages to no reply. I have contacted eBay on numerous occasions over the past week and they have completely wiped their hands clean. Because the case is closed there is NOTHING they can do, they have told me to try again and they are certain the buyer will reply. PayPal cannot issue a chargeback, my bank said I’ll have to cancel the card which is a headache. I am in the process of the ACCC, fair trades NSW, and am thinking about taking legal action. My question is, has anyone else gone through this same sort of issue and had eBay support a scammer? Would like to know what the outcome was, as the more evidence I can collect the better chance I have. Perhaps a class action law suit to prove a point? 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

eBay supporting fraud

A class action law suit against a Chinese buyer?

Good luck with that.

eBay have specific timeframes for disputes to be addressed. Your holiday will not be considered a reasonable excuse. Take your phone next time.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

eBay supporting fraud

So what you are saying is this is fair? You seem a little bias there friend. $1820 for not replying? Imagine it were you? Then to not have your items returned. Seems a little unfair to me, I’m sure many will agree 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

eBay supporting fraud

Lodge an appeal and fight it all he way to the top. Provide all and any verification you have. This is on eBay and the fact they will not consider proof from sellers during the dispute process. The more sellers that fight them and cause them to repay from their own funds the sooner they may wake up to the ridiculous terms of the MBG

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-i...

If that fails >

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

eBay supporting fraud

Thank you for your reply, it is beyond a joke. The link was no good, it just says this case was closed. I’ll have to try Facebook. I can’t believe they make it this hard to seek justice 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

eBay supporting fraud

Keep at them and threaten with AFCA if you need to, it may be an off shore sale, but the decision to return the money was made by eBay.com.au without giving you any opportunity to prove your case.

This MBG is a scammers dream and a sellers nightmare Good Luck

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

eBay supporting fraud

To appeal a decision, follow these steps:

1. Go to your Seller Dashboard - opens in new window or tab.
  2. Expand Closed without seller resolution to see your options.
  3. Select See cases and find the item in the list.
  4. Select See details and then send us an appeal.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

eBay supporting fraud

My experiences in similar situations have ALWAYS had PayPal resolve the problem and not eBay.

My advice would be to focus attention toward Paypal.

They have an appeal process and also respond to cases from Fair Traiding, NCAT , VCAT etc.
Most grounds are made when you can get on the phone to PayPal phone support in USA.

My instances have often been resolved by PayPal refunding the buyer, and also refunding the seller - they take the hit/loss because of policy obligations, evidence, and logic.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

eBay supporting fraud

I have tried PayPal on multiple occasions, they cannot do anything on their end apparently. My bank can file an unauthorised transaction, however I’ll have to cancel my card and that will be a headache with all the direct debits coming out of my account. I have found a law firm who are willing to work with me and will be sending a letter of demand to ebays legal team in Sydney, if I have to spend another $1800 so this doesn’t happen to anyone else I will. They are ridiculous. For anyone in the future looking back at all these threads. eBay has a legal team in Sydney that you can mail or fax to, the details are as follows: Marketplaces Gmbh; corrs chambers westGarth 8 Chifley 8-12 Chifley square, Sydney NSW 2000 fax: (02) 92106611

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

eBay supporting fraud

In my instance the instigation of a case with NSW Fair Trading, and persistence with phone support was enough. If I didn't get the answer I was looking for with phone support I'd politely get off the phone and call back and discuss with different representative as some seem to get a particular policy in mind and don't budge irrespective of logic....and their other policies.

I had sold a used,working automatic coffee machine and sent interstate. Although still active I'd then stopped using both the eBay account and the linked Paypal account. The buyer raised a dispute with PayPal some 5 months after receiving the machine, which at that time ( and this is if I'm recalling all details correctly as it's some time ago ) was within the 6 months time frame the buyer had to do so.
Due to not referring to the ebay or paypal account, and I was also overseas for one month during this time, I did not see any notices in regard to replying to dispute...which was raised to a claim.

It wasn't until I was back home and saw moneys drawn from my PayPal linked bank account that I was aware anything was happening. Paypal had drawn the funds from account and sent back to the buyer, with buyer retaining the item. I think I then had 30 days to appeal from that time. It was in fact the very last of those 30 days that I was able to respond to Paypal given when I'd realised what was happening. Subsequent communications and sharing of evidence etc was after the 30 day period.

Multiple PayPal support team members then told me , in short ..."sorry, that's the way it is". They confirmed, had I have responded at all that within dispute and claim timeframe, they would have ruled in my favour given buyer had the item for so long without concern.

I believe it was well into the escalation process of the NSW Fair Trading dispute, which is when different PayPal team members step in to communicate for resolve, that I was told they'd return to me moneys in full "in this instance".  More or less it's not something we always do but we will in this case. I have had a few problems resolved with similar outcomes over the years.
The buyer kept his refund and also kept the item.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply