eBay unauthorised fees helping themselves

I've only recently discovered that ebay has been accessing my paypal account and taking fees that belong to a friends account.

Prior to this they were taking monies from his account for ebay fees.

I use his paypal account to transfer monies from one account to another.

We're talking around 3-4k here too.

Besides the illegality of this has it happened to anyone here before?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Obviously his eBay account is linked to your Paypal account. Unlink it. You seem to have access to it.

Why do you have access to your friend's eBay/Paypal accounts anyway?

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

if you really believe its illeagle contact the financial service ombudsman. or the accc. but id put money on it that you and/or your friend chose to link the two accounts allowing ebay/paypal access.

good luck with that.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

It was never linked.....never but it appears ebay have over ridden that and just gone in and helped themselves.

I have now unlinked it.

For business reasons.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Yeh thats what I thought and thats what I'll be doing.

We are seperate entities and there's no way it was ever linked, not even a thought of doing it.

I could speculate but that's all it would be.

I'm not overly concerned as they'll just reinvoice my friend for fees but I'm concerned that ebay think that they can do that and not held accountable.

I've just put it out there if it's happened to anyone else.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@oldtimemilkman wrote:

I'm concerned that ebay think that they can do that and not held accountable.

They can't - for eBay to debit a PayPal account for seller fees, a formal agreement between the account holder and ebay has to be made, and the account information / password used to authorise the agreement. i.e. Under normal circumstaces, a person has to sign in to their PayPal account to authorise such an agreement. 

If you haven't already, I suggest going to your PayPal account, click on profile, then click on pre-approved payments. If there are debits from eBay under a pre-approved payment, click on one of the links, it will display whether or not the agreement is active, and when it was initiated. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply