ebay Fees are now higher with new format!

I've been with eBay for over 20 years, unfortunately, they've really messed up with the new format as well.

For sellers you are no longer going to get instant funds when your item sells instead you could wait up to 4 or 5 days as they will deposit directly into your bank account. They say on average that you'll end up paying lower fees as well! I just made a sale using the mandatory new format and this is the breakdown of the payment I received: 

My item sold for $11.99 + the shipping cost of $5.00 Total Sale $16.99.

The following charges applied by eBay: Final Value Fee -$2.38 International Fee -$0.20  (1.0% charged because the delivery address is in New Zealand). Per order fixed fee on final amount -$0.27. VAT was -$0.28. So Total Fees: -$3.13.

$16.99 minus $3.13 = $13.86 was deposited into my account. So the total fees on this sale are 18.42%. That is on average a 4-5% INCREASE!

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

If 35c is going to break you, by all means leave. Or don't send stuff to NZ at under real postage costs. Good luck finding somewhere cheaper to list that gives you the reach of eBay.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Not helpful @davewil.

I can understand the OP's concern if his calculations are much higher than anticipated.

18% is the ballpark which Amazon charges its sellers and Ebay has always come in cheaper than that. I would also start to be concerned if my percentage was close to 18%.

I've just checked my latest sale and it was a touch over 12% in fees, which is in line with what I've always paid.

You can look under your Payments tab  where you can see all the orders and maybe just compare this overseas sale percentage to a domestic sale.

OP - you can set your payout to daily. Mine is weekly, but is in my account within 6 hours of the notification.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

That is your opinion.

The difference is about 35c. Hardly a deal breaker.

Like you, my fees are generally the same as pre-MP.  On domestic sales. International is another kettle of fish. As I don't like that kettle, I don't use it, but that doesn't negate my thoughts, especially on posting stuff to NZ, which in my experience costs double sending domestically.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Not exactly an  "On average increase of  4 - 5 %"   when you are only calculating on One specific low value item.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Where did you get the 35 cents?

The point is, if you're selling low value items you end up paying higher percentage of fees. Why?

What has so dramatically improved to warrant a rise of 5% in fees for the sellers? 

If you don't offer overseas shipping then your argument about "the reach of eBay" is minimised.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

You are correct, but if I sold ten items at that same price, the outcome would still be a 4%-5% increase in fees!

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Right, now calculate  fees on  a more expensive item,  your example is not an average.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Previous -

eBay FVF $1.85.

Paypal 30c + 61c (3.6% for foreign transactions)

Total $2.76.

Sorry, 37c.

And YOU wish to sell overseas, so reach should be important to you.

As others have said, ONE example doesn't make an average.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I have had a similar experience after returning to eBay as a private seller and I have posted my attitude as well.  I couldn't agree more.  They kept back payment from me for 21 days after the sale!!

This is sheer greed, and don't get me started on that so called "Managed Payment Option".  Over a period of about two weeks I began to realise what I had returned to was not what it once was and now I can't get out quick enough. What was once a part time interest has turned into a headache.  

I have de listed my 28 items and am in the process of cancelling my Selling account, I no longer trust this organisation.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply