ebay final value fee help

louha-9100
Community Member

I am selling a guitar, I am new to ebay it was my buyer who bought it to my attention that ebay takes a massive chunk out of your sale, I sold it for $350 the buyer added the postage in the payment so i assume ebay thinks im selling it for $386.

They have charged me the $36 postage as well as taken a $50 chunk for themselves.

The guitar case got dropped so I offered the buyer a refund or a partial refund and they agreed partial but said I should have said the sale price was less to avoid the greedy fees. 

My question is, it's been posted already and half way there, can I somehow get around this fee or reduce it otherwise this whole sale was more stress than it was worth.

Like does anyone know if i say as the seller its cancelled and refund them the lot and resell to them if it will impact the postage?

Or if I can get some money back by partially refunding the buyer?

any help really appreciated thank you

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Do you have any idea of what you are doing. ??

Any idea - at all.??

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

You won't get any fees back unless you cancel the sale. Not a good idea if the guitar is on its way.

The postage had to be paid by you regardless of how you sent it. Using an eBay label therefore is not specifically an eBay charge. The fees are, but eBay take their fees on the full value of the sale, including postage.

Give the partial refund you promised, wear the fees and spend the time it will take for the payment to hit your bank account (30 days probably - you are a new seller) reading about selling on eBay.

I'd suggest areas like fees, Managed Payments, refunds.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Oh mon dieu.

@louha-9100, you're publicly posting that  you want to avoid paying the eBay fees. You need to read the eBay fee avoidance policy... and I hope that this will enlighten you about just how well that's going to go.

Other sellers on eBay are not going to be sympathetic; they pay their fees and consider it just part of their costs. No one likes paying the fees, but trying to cheat your way out of them is not on. Those fees are not hidden in any way before you list, and if you didn't read the readily available information on FVF (Final Value Fees) so that you could consider whether eBay is the right venue for you to do any selling, that is - I'm sorry - on you.

Listing may be free, but FVF is going to be around 13.4% if I remember correctly. That must always be taken into account when setting your price.

For the record, I don't think eBay is the right venue for people who only sell occasionally. The hassle of verifying both your bank account and your ID, plus the fact that eBay holds fees of "new sellers" (which equals any seller who isn't regularly selling on eBay) for a considerable period are considerable, and in many cases doing your selling on Facebook Marketplace, for instance, is a better option. For people selling regularly to boost their income or those who are selling for their primary income, eBay seems to still be a good venue.

The postage component of sales on eBay have been included in the "final value" (upon which the FVF is paid) for some years now.

I may be wrong, but I think partial refunds do not give the seller any refund on fees.

If the guitar case has truly been damaged, you may be better off cancelling the sale entirely.

If you ever decide to sell on eBay again, you really should read through the selling Help pages, or ask here for advice on how to sell without anything coming as a nasty surprise.

(By the way, although you may consider the fees taken by eBay to be "greedy", they are less than the fees charged by auction houses, for instance. If you sell on Facebook, you won't have the issue of fees, but of course you'll not have anywhere near the audience reach of eBay. Horses for courses; weight up what works best for you, but don't try to be dishonest on eBay, as a suspended account would impact not only you - with ANY sort of account - but also anyone in the same household... and it would definitely put off other sellers from wanting to offer advice. Do not be surprised if other replies here are acerbic.)

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Pay what  you owe,  any refund you wish to pass on to the buyer, is purely a matter of goodwill on your part and does not reduce  the fees payable.  Even if you cancel the sale, ebay can still enforce the full payment of fees, especially if they believe the buyer and seller are trying to pull a shonky.

I am really having a hard  time believing your level of ignorance, given you have obviously managed to navigate your way through managed payments

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

It really really is hard to believe a word of what you say

Are you quite sure it wasnโ€™t just you trying to be clever and think you could โ€˜get aroundโ€™ having to pay the same fees as everyone else, and after finding out that wouldnโ€™t work, you now what your guitar back, plus blame it all on the buyer?

Hmmm?

you are certainly very lucky eBay do not read here

They would close you down in a heartbeat 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

you are certainly very lucky eBay do not read here

They would close you down in a heartbeat 

Hmmm Sandy, eBay has been known to read here, and there's also a possibility that the thread could have been reported to eBay themselves through eBay's "report a member" option........

There could be dark clouds on the horizon for the OP........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Hi Padi,

The message monitoring bots, may have allready activated the bells.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply