Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi a sequence of events. 

I sold my first item, 

Ebay holding my funds 

I did not know Ebay would hold my funds there was no warning, 

they did it after the sale, 

I have verified my bank account, 

Because Ebay Held my funds i could not post the buyers item as i didnt have the transport fees to get to the post office, if i waited for my funds to be released (28th) my first sale would have been **bleep** with a **bleep** review .  So i went and got a favour off a neighbour and hand delivered the item she bought, she is happy with it, i correspondended with her to write to Ebay to let them know she has recieved it and is happy, As she is a new buyer she is unable to post a review for 5 days, which should be about up by now but last monday she informed ebay in (email) that she has recieved the item and she is happy with it and happy with my prompt personal delivery service i did for her. 

Item recieved - check

Banking verified - check 

customer happy and personally emailed ebay that she recieved it as she was unable to post review - check 

I was waiting for this sale money to buy food with, i am a pensioner and 86 dollars after costs is a large amt for me and was looking forward to buying coffee and fresh milk. 

Can someone PLEASE tell me under what law or whatever can Ebay hold my Money???

Last week they told me it will be held until i verified my bank, This has been done already. 

Depending on who i speak to in support i get what seems to be a different Lie. 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: financial Hardship caused by Ebay

Please check this reply, as it should apply to you too: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Does-ebay-not-pay-out/m-p/2513938#M225815

More on funds on hold: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-on-hold?id=...

I can understand it can be very frustrating if you need the money for food or to pay bills, particularly in these difficult times.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Firstly im not blaming everyone else, im blaming Ebay being (assuming) everyone can jump through hoops, and has avail funds to tie over. which many dont, 

And im not after special treatment

Secondly i ve read your reply and gone back  and read everywhere there is no 30 day holds checkbox on my Ebay that i can find anywhere, and if its in small print then thats a problem right there. But im stuffed if i can find it. 

, And as i told the staff if there were any inkling there was to be any hold up of funds i would not have listed, luckily i was able to deliver personally to the buyer otherwise she would be waiting another 5 days which makes it a 2 week delay of fund release

In Writing Ebay promised release of funds dependant on Bank verification

and also in writing release of funds when Buyer recieving the goods, 

Both these are in Transcript by Ebay staff, , i have copies of both transcripts

everything was typed not spoken, I like yourself would never rely on what someone (said)

And they do show Ebay pi55ed in my pocket and told me it was raining. 

This is the only detail i have on held funds in my dashboard..

,,These funds are on hold while we're confirming delivery details or resolving disputes.""

Endquote

And this gripes me as i dont have any idea what they mean as i cant get a straight answer. 

Delivery happened on the day as i said above, 

Still No mention of 30 days fund confiscation as you mention. . 

Thanks for your Reply

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Please check this reply, as it should apply to you too: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Does-ebay-not-pay-out/m-p/2513938#M225815

More on funds on hold: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-on-hold?id=...

I can understand it can be very frustrating if you need the money for food or to pay bills, particularly in these difficult times.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

The rules you agreed to when listing the item (where you ticked you read and understood)

All that information was available

You do not get to wait until your funds are relesed to send the item

Please don't tick things that you read and understood when you clearly did'nt

The world is in hardship one way or another

Even more reason not to agree to things you have not read, and then blame everyone else

30 days holds apply to all new sellers

There are no special rules for income level, or age

If any eBay staff told you they would grant special treatment, then indeed you were lied to

Nobody here is going to do that

All the information was there

The same rules apply to everyone who ticks that box

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Firstly im not blaming everyone else, im blaming Ebay being (assuming) everyone can jump through hoops, and has avail funds to tie over. which many dont, 

Secondly i ve read your reply and gone back  and read everywhere there is no 30 day holds checkbox on my Ebay that i can find anywhere, and if its in small print then thats a problem right there. But im stuffed if i can find it. 

, And as i told the staff if there were any inkling there was to be any hold up of funds i would not have listed, luckily i was able to deliver personally to the buyer otherwise she would be waiting another 5 days which makes it a 2 week delay of fund release

everything was typed not spoken, I like yourself would never rely on what someone (said)

,,These funds are on hold while we're confirming delivery details or resolving disputes.""

Endquote

And this gripes me as i dont have any idea what they mean as i cant get a straight answer. 

Thanks for your Reply

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your time, 

I was being the devils advocate a little, speaking not only for myself,

I understandEbay in their reprogramming of its system with their postage services, and packages all part of their delivery service, where they have partnered with Auspost and others globally im sure etc.  

ebay thought they covered every scenario, but they didnt cover scenarios for people who by whatever reason unable to use postal and when can to personally deliver, . There is no tick box for that, Even now on my already delivered item it is marked as Postal Service with a $16.95 minimal delivery fee i had to set in order to check the boxes marking it delivered..

no check boxes for self delivery. 

Ill read those links. Thanks for your Reply 🙂

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Endquote

Thanks for your Reply

Not sure what it is you don't understand here.

eBay is waiting for confirmation the item has been delivered.

An email to eBay is not going to mark the item delivered - the buyer needs to leave feedback on the receipt of the item.

Interesting you have charged $16.95 for postage - but hand delivered - perhaps this should be refunded to the buyer.

Your money will be on hold until there is confirmation of delivery.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Hi There purple,   When you signed on to managed payments, you confirm you have read and understand all T&C's,  which also includes all information on payment holds.

You further confirm this whenever you list an item for sale.

Holds have been in effect for new sellers for 5+  years.

Your buyer does not need to leave a review, nor email ebay, they need to leave FB , and that has not been done.

There is no provision in ebay for personal delivery, you are unable to provide tracking or any acceptable proof the item has been delivered, (emails etc from either yourself or the buyer are not acceptable).  Unlike buyer pickup, there is no code issued to confirm delivery.  In addition, you have failed to ship the item by the method stated in the listing.

Contacting ebay  CS is not going to rectify any of this, while funds can be released early with tracking showing delivered and FB received, it is not automatic, and in this case you can not provide either.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I am sorry to say this but Ebay did not cause you financial hardship.  It was purely yourself for not reading fully what you signed.   Selling on line is not the way to go if you need money in a hurry like that.  Most platforms implement some sort of financial hold on funds.  Maybe if you were to sell on Gumtree you would get money on the spot.

Please do not play the "Pensioner" game.  A large number of buyers/sellers who respond on the forums are just that. 

The info is all there for you.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

ebay transaction holds.pngThe information about payment holds is there, although you do have to read up on the 'selling' guide in the help section.

Your buyer can leave feedback for you, but even if they don't, the hold won't last forever.

From what i have read on the forums, it is likely to be 2-4 weeks.

Then, if you have everything else registered correctly, it should go into your account.

I am sorry that the experience has thrown you into a frustrating situation financially.

Truth of the matter is that a lot of cash sales these days are on Facebook marketplace. In fact, if you sell on there, state you accept only cash! It doesn't necessarily have the Australia wide market of ebay, because someone will need to pick up the items, but it is immediate, no comebacks.

I think you will be okay with your sale, but there are some risks attached to the way you went about things (not posting the item etc). Had you nominated pick up, different. Ebay isn't set up for hand delivery.

Be very careful before listing anything else and if it is a quick cash sale you are after, consider gumtree or marketplace.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I hear u I hadn't sold for a while. Have zero savings. was Oblivious to the whole hold thing. And preferred PayPal in the past.  Scrapping up every last cent and posting out parcels as well as trying to feed the household. This last week alone $160 out of pocket on postage having to borrow monies for tomorrow's parcel and petrol to make sure it posts on time. lady asking when her items gonna be sent so hopefully not gonna get neg feedback.. meanwhile, ebay takes their cut straightaway including 12.181..% of the postage then freeze the funds. I'm going to contact the omnibudsmen tomorrow when i figure out which one.Ebay should have to release the postage funds straight away. Poor form on Ebays behalf really. i will also from now on be including these details in my listings so people understand and also mark item received straight away. I dare say cause u didnt get to put in tracking number your sale didnt get easily marked as received as that is the step in between. never had any problems like this with paypal. Ebay is being greedy excluding paypal.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply