fragrance issue posting within australia

posted a vintage fragrance item, (after shave cologne), which was still packaged in its box within australia, posted as a parcel not in a satchel, so did not sign the flammable goods part of the satchel.

packaged securely within correcgated cardboard and then within 2 polystyrene trays.  item very snug and protected.

buyer emails to say it arrived soggy and maybe the seal was broken.

when it left me it was still packaged the bottle inside its origiinal cardboard packaging inside its cellophane wrap.  it was a 1970s issue, never opened

I totally appreciate the inconvenience if this has arrived as they describe.  I asked them to send a couple of photos but they haven't as yet.  i also advised to take the item to their GPO with all the packaging and fill out a green complaint form.  the item was marked with fragile tape too, i'm aware some people believe thats like a red flag to a bull with aust post, but the alternative is not to write anything!

what can I do?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

As AP don't offer a fragile service, it's pointless putting fragile tape on. They are handled the same way other parcels are. I'm not sure I'd be encouraging the buyer to go and fill out a green form either, because unless you have a dangerous goods licence, you have broken the law by sending that item. I wouldn't want attention drawn to it as they may well come after you.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Was it posted with Road Only stickers on it?

If it went by air there is the possibility that the seals in the lid of the bottle have deteriorated with age and the bottle did leak.

It has nothing to do with rough treatment.

Australia Post do not provide a Fragile service so you will not have any success making a claim....even if it was insured you would not have any success with a claim unless the item goes missing.

All I can suggest is to ask for a photo of the damaged item and then refund the buyer....just make sure you get the photos before refunding.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

It's not pointless putting fragile tape on it at all, if nothing else it shows the buyer that at lease you warned the handlers that the item is fragile.

By not marking the item as fragile shows that you don't give tuppeny what happens to the fragile item.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

interesting comment lyndal re the seal in the air, but I don't understand the comment australia post don't provide a fragile service. 

i've seen this mentioned several times on the boards before and challenged.  sure theres no service for breakables but marking fragile as in handle with care can't do any harm- better than not

different post offices have given me different advise re the by road stickers so I just posted as a parcel without the sticker - therefore not signing the flammable goods declaration... and not commiting an offence.

the person sounds genuine but why won't they send me photos, says they're time poor.   we all are!

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

The Fragile service was discontinued some time ago.   Sure, you can mark a package as Fragile but AP will not even think about a claim for breakage unless you can show the tyre marks on the wrapping.

Just because you post a flammable item in a parcel instead of a satchel does not mean you are not committing an offence.  The signature on the satchel (or lack of it) is not the end of it.

To post dangerous goods of any type you need to have a Dangerous Goods Licence and have an account with AP...and post items with the proper packaging as prescribed by AP and attach a Road Only sticker.

I suspect there is no problem....just dont refund without photographs.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@robinsonmarineparts wrote:

It's not pointless putting fragile tape on it at all, if nothing else it shows the buyer that at lease you warned the handlers that the item is fragile.

By not marking the item as fragile shows that you don't give tuppeny what happens to the fragile item.

All putting fragile tape on does is keeps buyers happy. It makes not one bit of difference how it's handled in the AP system.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@robinsonmarineparts wrote:

All putting fragile tape on does is keeps buyers happy. It makes not one bit of difference how it's handled in the AP system.

Arrr, i like to keep my buyers happy.Smiley Surprised

I never said it'll be handled differently did i?

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

There used to be a poster who worked in a sorting office and he claimed that when workers see fragile on a parcel it is interpreted as "Feel free to use me as a football". I suspect it was not totally tongue in cheek.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

i think anyone working in the post delivery business who these days uses an item as a football is asking for trouble with 99.9% of people filming everything they see and posting it to the now numerous online places for doing so. not like the good old days when what happens behind closed doors ect.

i personally allways put fragile stickers on my items to show the box contains fragile items. that to me is a basic selling requirement regardless of what happens after i hand it to australia post.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply