fraudulant paypal accounts

Hi,

Coupe of months ago I sold digital currency and the other party sent their wallet address via their paypal address.I transferred the currency and then the other party brought more the same way and so on.

Apx couple months later I went into my paypal account and the total amount of all these transactions had been frozen. Cases opened against me on the grounds that it had been paid for via an unautherised credit card.

I called Paypal and they said as long as I could prove I sent the currency I would be ok. I also said about the information being sent via the paypal account and the person said it was easy to open a paypal account with a stolen credit card. I scanned my digital wallet showing the coin was sent to the address given via paypal.
Paypal also said that if the credit card company found against me, paypal would fight the cases for me.

A day later the cases are closed, cases against me. I called paypal and they then told me that it was up to the credit card company to decide and paypal took no part.

On top of losing the digital currency, the cash paid for it, paypal has charged me a fee on each case as a last spit in the face.

Seems my only path is to stop using paypal when selling since it is unsafe and warn as many people willing to listen. Ebay via paypal is not as safe as I was led to believe.

P.S posted a similar post a few minutes ago and could not find it. If a double up, apologies.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: fraudulant paypal accounts

Seached ebay.com.au and australia based ads only ... so yes.

I understand that digital goods are not covered the hard way after being lulled into a false sense of security by ebay and paypal. I am out to discover if I am covered from fraudulent paypal accounts being used for ebay transaction scams. If not, then plan to inform the public that ebay and paypal are dangerous to their financial security.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

If the account holder is in Australia you can report then via the online fraud squad:

Online fraud squad.

They state that it's the Queensland online fraud squad but they handle all of Aus.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks, didn't consider that.

Just checked and the account is based in the US.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Please dpn't blame ebay and/or  Paypal, you should have read the terms and conditions of both sites as you said you had when you ticked the conformation box when the accounts were opened.

You can report US problems to the US federal police who have a site similar to the one run by QLD poice, I am sure if you google you will find it or go and ask on the US boards,

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

If you want to report it in the USA you need the FBI website....and it is not easy to negotiate.

Good luck with it.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

The scammer attained a paypal account and an ebay account probably via a stolen credit card and has and is still scamming people on ebay with paypal. It shows ebay and paypal have weakeness in there security and don't care. When I ticked the box there was nothing about how lax their security is and their disinterest about it.

Anyone on ebay could be a scammer and the general publc should be made aware.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

The other Aus seller that sold some to this member/scammer will be $60.000 plus out of pocket,shok.gif

One of the Spanish sellers has three recent negative feedback's for theirs being a scam,(after they reported this

same buyer as a scammer).

So they possible hijacked that account as well after your buyer bought from them earlier.

There was also a Chinese scammer in the mix that was reported and is now NARU'd and the listings removed,(but

with them one gets removed and another three pop up.

They will now target those type of listings as an easy scam,(both buying and selling).

What a mess,(good luck trying to get it fixed).ok.gif

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

When I ticked the box there was nothing about how lax their security is and their disinterest about it.

Paypal terms have always said that digitally delivered goods are not covered by seller protection, ebay stopped allowing the sale of digitally delivered goods many years ago and as with all updates to their policies you would have received notification of this.

Paypal security is not lax but many users are, if they allow their accounts to be hi-jacked or their credit cards and information to be cloned there is not a lot Paypal or ebay can do about it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 18 of 18
Latest reply