fraudulant paypal accounts

Hi,

Coupe of months ago I sold digital currency and the other party sent their wallet address via their paypal address.I transferred the currency and then the other party brought more the same way and so on.

Apx couple months later I went into my paypal account and the total amount of all these transactions had been frozen. Cases opened against me on the grounds that it had been paid for via an unautherised credit card.

I called Paypal and they said as long as I could prove I sent the currency I would be ok. I also said about the information being sent via the paypal account and the person said it was easy to open a paypal account with a stolen credit card. I scanned my digital wallet showing the coin was sent to the address given via paypal.
Paypal also said that if the credit card company found against me, paypal would fight the cases for me.

A day later the cases are closed, cases against me. I called paypal and they then told me that it was up to the credit card company to decide and paypal took no part.

On top of losing the digital currency, the cash paid for it, paypal has charged me a fee on each case as a last spit in the face.

Seems my only path is to stop using paypal when selling since it is unsafe and warn as many people willing to listen. Ebay via paypal is not as safe as I was led to believe.

P.S posted a similar post a few minutes ago and could not find it. If a double up, apologies.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

If you have proof of postage to the buyers address, you qualify for Paypal seller protection, and Paypal should reimburse the buyer from their funds, not yours.

Assuming you sold tangible goods. Intangible goods are specifically exempt from Paypal seller protection, apart from being specifically prohibited for sale on eBay Australia.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

as your 'wallet transfer coins' are digitally delivered and not sent thru the mail, they are banned from ebay australia for starters, so you would have absolutely NO paypal protection

what has happened to you, is a buyer knowing that, and knowing how to manipulate the situation to get  your ''transfer'' and their money back via their c/card.

for protection from fraud you have to trade within the rules of both ebay and paypal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

What of the ease of creating fraudulant paypal accounts, is there any protection against this.

As for digital currency not being allowed to be sold on ebay, at the time of listing I enquired information about from ebay via phone and was not told it was not allowed. Also there was bulk bitcoin being sold at the time. Is there a way I can find out when Ebay decided it was not allowed?

Hey I realise I am chasing my tail here, its just I would like the information before I go public and warn people so they are not scammed via paypal.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Nothing to do with fraudulent Paypal accounts. Anybody can open a Paypal account, all they need is an email address. A premier, verified account requires some verification, but the average buyer would never have to go to that level.

I've only been an eBay member for less than 5 years, but I'm pretty sure digital goods have been a prohibited category ever since I joined.

There is a link at the bottom of every page to the site map. ALL sellers should at least glance at it before selling. And have the odd decko to see if there have been any changes.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

The paypal accounts are not fraudulent.....the buyers either used stolen credit cards or stated that the transactions were unauthorised.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Digital goods have not been allowed on ebay Australia for the 7 years I have been here but they are allowed to be listed on ebay.com.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I asked paypal on the phone about the paypal account being used to send the wallet address and he said it was propably created fraudualently.

I have emailed paypal asking for a record of phone conversations as proof of this.

The person who scammed me is still on ebay and still scamming, there is feedback even from today. Currently contacting feedback seller and informing them that they will be screwed by paypal on the off chance they can do something before they are fined by paypal too.

One other minnor issue, if digital currency is not allowed here, why isn't is being policed. Just searched and 16 didtial coin ads being sold from Australia on here.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

But are they listed on ebay.au or ebay.com?

There is nothing stopping you selling them from Australia, as far as I know, just list them on the US site.

The paypal rules are quite specific...digital goods are not covered at all.   You have not been screwed by paypal....they do not cover the goods you are selling.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@trade_me_australia wrote:

I asked paypal on the phone about the paypal account being used to send the wallet address and he said it was propably created fraudualently.

I have emailed paypal asking for a record of phone conversations as proof of this.

The person who scammed me is still on ebay and still scamming, there is feedback even from today. Currently contacting feedback seller and informing them that they will be screwed by paypal on the off chance they can do something before they are fined by paypal too.

One other minnor issue, if digital currency is not allowed here, why isn't is being policed. Just searched and 16 didtial coin ads being sold from Australia on here.

Probably because eBay rely on members' reports. They can't and don't vet every listing. And I'm happy with that because I'm not prepared to pay $100 listing fees to pay for the cost of doing so.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply