free shipping on large item

How come an Australian seller can offer free shipping for large items that need a big box? for example, a plastic stool which is big and they sell it for $ 8? how do they make a profit and cover the postage fee together? 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: free shipping on large item

coffeescreenlaugh.gif

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Ah, is that how come anyone selling from China charge little or no postal charges cause their government subsidises it. Always wondered that, now I know. Also I now do not mind sellers pretending they are in Australia when they are clearly not when you click on their feedback and see they are in China, as it saves me paying the stupid 10% GST that the government are now slugging us on low cost items
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

But if the items really are in Australia the import charges, including GST, have already been paid....or will be before the items are released for posting to the buyer.

Sellers can't escape their tax obligations just by saying the items are in Australia when they are not.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

@azadehaus wrote:

Oh my God. I checked and guess what? you win .they registered in china !!!! but still 3 questions?

1- the real item location is in Australia or china ? as they mentioned it in Australia!!

2 - if the item location is in china how fast are they as they usually ship in one weak!!!

3- if the location is Australia it means they pay for pastage hear and use china government subsidies?!

You're perfectly right. It's a chinese seller, but the item is showing as being located in Melbourne and delivery is showing for me as from this Fri 18 Oct to 25 Oct. That implies it is local.

I can't see how a seller could use Aust Post for this product and come out ahead.

Either the seller has a warehouse here and just cops a loss on some products (which sounds unlikely to me) or they send from China, where the shipping is subsidised.

If you want to buy from them, go ahead, but if the item doesn't arrive in time, I'd be putting in an item not received claim immediately, don't let them fob you off or delay with excuses. If they advertise something as arriving in a week, then they have to deliver on that.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

OR they pay the postage in china, print the china post label and post it here.

We are in an online world.
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

You can't use a China Post label to post items within Australia.   They will not be accepted.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

nothing is free... free postage means its included in the total price.

look at the auspost postage calc and see even the cheapest postage is around $10 now.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

The Chinese Government doesn't subsidise the shipping to Australia, WE subsidise it. We being all of us who send parcels overseas from Australia. There is an agreement that the receiving country will handle the mail of the sending country without extra charge to the sending country, in return they both get to keep the amounts charged to their own populace for their own international postage to offset the cost of delivering all that mail from overseas.

So the China Post charges very little to the customer and sends a large pile of parcels over to Australia for Australia Post to deal with at their own cost. Australia Post charges quite a lot more to the customer and sends a much smaller pile of parcels to China for them to deal with at their cost. Australia Post uses the profit from the sale of that small pile of parcel post to cover the cost of delivering that larger pile of Chinese parcels to the Australian population.

Hence the imbalance in prices.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply