how long should I give a buyer to contact or pay for an item after sending invoice and reminer

how long do I give someone to pay or contact me after and auction has eneded and I have sent an invoice?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: how long should I give a buyer to contact or pay for an item after sending invoice and reminer

Should also mention that the bidder has also won another simular item for a much cheaper price from someone else 2 days after winning my item - I am concerned that they will not complete my sale due to this.
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Re: how long should I give a buyer to contact or pay for an item after sending invoice and reminer

I don't know the exact answer to what you are asking. Personally i think 2 days is long enough for someone to pay. I have recently had a bad experience where a buyer didn't pay for 3/4 days (from when you choose to count from sale time/day), when i contacted them about it nicely i got abuse and saying i was rude.

Under customer support on my account it told me i could do a close of sale disupte and that it had been 2 days of an unpaid item and to contact buyer.

It's up to you how long you want to wait but you can contact them after 2 days and file a non payer dispute after 4 days.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

hi,i would send them  polite email congratulating them on their win.letting them know their item is all packed and ready to go once payment has been made and cleared

this usually works wonders

tara

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Ebay send an email when the item is purchased and another after 48 hours reminding them to pay so I see sending an invoice before 3 days has gone by as excessive and unnecessary unless postage needs to be amended. there is nothing you can do before 4 days have gone by so there is little point in annoying a buyer who is going to pay by day 4 by cluttering up their inbox. If they haven't paid by the end of day 3 I send the invoice with a tactful reminder and if still nothing I open the dispute after the 4 days is up.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

As a buyer I would not be upset at getting a reminder after 3 days......bearing in mind that buyers get an email that they have won, an invoice and then a reminder after 48 hours.  But anything more from the seller before 3 days is a bit much IMO.

I was a bit miffed the other day...about an hour after the auction ended I received a message from the seller and I quote "Hi, just so you know I will only post the item once it is paid for."

That was a bit much IMO, and her communication stars are going to suffer.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I ask for payment within 48 hrs and some buyers ask for an extension, but if payment is not received within 2 - 3 days and the buyer has ignored your reminder email and that of eBay's then not likely you will be paid, when this happens to me I offer to the 2nd hightest bidder (if there is one) rather than relist, but must add that  don't know what's more annoying..a non payer or a buyer who just totally ignores my reminder email.....opening a Case never works for me.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

whatever you do, do NOT follow linen's advice re offering to underbidder or relisting until AFTER you have closed off the 1st transaction.

so wait 4 days, open a non payer dispute, they still have another 4 days to pay, if they dont, after day 8 close the dispute, that'll get your fvf back from ebay and issue buyer with a strike.  Then that transaction is over, and you can relist or offer 2nd chance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Opening a case isn't always about getting the buyer to pay.  When you complete the procedure, even if the buyer didn't pay, then opening the case has worked for you and done a service for every seller on eBay.  As putney said the buyer will receive a strike.  Many sellers have their buyer blocks in place for two or more strikes in 12 months which then reduces the instances where a serial non-payer can wreak havoc.  It can be a pain in the neck to constantly go through disputes, but they are worth it.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

No, I would only offer another bidder after the transaction has closed, not before, sorry for the confusion...

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply