if buyer does't pay does that sale come off our selling balance don't wont to pay tax on non sales

if buyer doesn't pay I open up a unpaid case and get the fees back but does that sale get taken out of our sales balance as don't want to pay tax on non sales

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: if buyer does't pay does that sale come off our selling balance don't wont to pay tax on non sal

@symo10 wrote:

if buyer doesn't pay I open up a unpaid case and get the fees back but does that sale get taken out of our sales balance as don't want to pay tax on non sales

The simple answer is not to use eBay records as they are not valid records of income.

You need to be using a combination of PayPal records and any other payment methods (ie Bank Account direct deposits etc).

The only numbers you need from eBay are the fees you are charged and stock level running balances.

If you are registered for gst then you should be doing a quarterly BAS statement and preferably using an accountant or bookkeeper.

I you are, or you intend to do so, you will find that they can provide appropriate software (probably MYOB) which can integrate with eBay (for stock and fees) and payPal (for cash balances).

If you are not registered for gst then the point is somewhat moot as there is no gst payable, all revenue is business income and you cannot issue tax invoices with gst.

Your question is really a bit beyond the scope of this forum as none of us have a complete picture of your business model or methods.

Your accountant will offer the best advice on matters of fiduciary compliance

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

Re: if buyer does't pay does that sale come off our selling balance don't wont to pay tax on non sal

I would think it is up to the OP's friend, the owner of the ebay account on which he is posting, to know all this and explain it to the OP.

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

@symo10 wrote:

The simple answer is not to use eBay records as they are not valid records of income.

You need to be using a combination of PayPal records and any other payment methods (ie Bank Account direct deposits etc).

The only numbers you need from eBay are the fees you are charged and stock level running balances.

If you are registered for gst then you should be doing a quarterly BAS statement and preferably using an accountant or bookkeeper.

I you are, or you intend to do so, you will find that they can provide appropriate software (probably MYOB) which can integrate with eBay (for stock and fees) and payPal (for cash balances).

If you are not registered for gst then the point is somewhat moot as there is no gst payable, all revenue is business income and you cannot issue tax invoices with gst.

Your question is really a bit beyond the scope of this forum as none of us have a complete picture of your business model or methods.

Your accountant will offer the best advice on matters of fiduciary compliance

I was going to take issue with you over your post, as the methods you are suggesting are more detailed and complex than most smaller sellers ( such as myself ) would need. 

After having looked at the OP sellers feedback and sales numbers I think a record keeping system such as you are advocating would be essential.

Feedback scores of around 350 per month meaning sales approaching perhaps 800 - 1000 items per month is a very serious business that needs some pretty good record keeping. Total feedback of around 2300 indicate this is a business that has not been running long and has built sales very quickly.

Hypothetically speaking, an experienced ebayer could build businesses such as this and then sell them as a going concern to new members who may not have the previous ebay experience to run them.  With unemployment on the rise there would be a ready market for such businesses. I am not advocating this as it is in clear breach of ebays rules regards selling ebay ID,s and businesses.

Just saying if this happened the new owner would be on a serious learning curve and would looking for some help if they where not to find themselves in difficulty very quickly.  

Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

Thank you fro your time and information which was very helpful
Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

Thank you to those of you that posted information back I really found it very helpful so thanks for taking the time to do that, so at the end of this was glad I posted my question lol happy ebaying to all
Message 25 of 25
Latest reply