if buyer does't pay does that sale come off our selling balance don't wont to pay tax on non sales

if buyer doesn't pay I open up a unpaid case and get the fees back but does that sale get taken out of our sales balance as don't want to pay tax on non sales

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

if buyer does't pay does that sale come off our selling balance don't wont to pay tax on non sales

@davewil1964 wrote:

Surely you keep your own profit/loss records?

OP the short answer is that ebays figures do not reduce when a sale is cancelled. ie. item will show as still sold.

I use the ebay 30 day and 120 day figures as the basis for tax my reporting. I figure these are the figures ebay are going to be forwarding to the ATO. I just make a note of any transactions that are cancelled each month and note these on my report to be reconciled by my  accountant. I figure this is going to give me very accurate figures and takes very little time. I use an average % over the full years sales for paypal fees.

I use a seperate credit card for my ebay postage which keeps perfect records of postage costs, and only buy stock a few times a year by the pallet load or trailer load., so keeping track of stock purchases is simple. Stock is stored in a shipping container and once levels start to drop, I find a couple more pallet loads.  Very simple and very effective.

I record ebay total monthly sales, ebay monthly fees, any stock purchases and adjustments in a small note book. A seperate page for each store, each month. It takes maybe ten minutes per month and maybe an hour or two to reconcile at the end of the year.

I add a small amount to postage for self insurance and whenever a problem arrises I just refund. No arguing, just give them their money back and move on. It doesnt happen often and it is very rare that I think I,m being scammed. You can waste a lot of time and energy arguing with buyers and all of my accounts have 100% positive feedback, powerseller status and very few defects which further helps sales.  

This system is much quicker than keeping seperate cash book records for every transaction and I have not had any problems with the ATO or the accountant since using this system.

I can understand why some choose to use a cash book system, but really I,m not concerned with chasing every last dollar. I work on turning over the most stock I can in a limited period of time with minimum inputs and maximum profit mark ups. I rely on bulk turnover to make enough money that I can afford a bit of wastage along the way. Chasing every last dollar takes A LOT of time and personally I dont find it cost effective. 

This is the only way I can make houly wages from ebay which are comparable to those of full time, average wage employment. If I start getting bogged down with small details and systems that are not efficient use of time, my average sales and profit per hour drop considerably and I only end up making a few dollars per hour. KISS - KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Surely you keep your own profit/loss records?

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Why would you pay tax on a sale that fell through?

You would not have an income from it and it would not have cost anything in fees or postage.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Well am just really new to this that is why I am asking, in the process of sorting out cashbook software but not sure how to start as I have to join palpay and bank reconciliations together? Just wasn't sure what ebay did as when in my activity when I bring up (All Status) it seems even the unpaid items are totaled up as sold so was just wondering if they didn't end up paying if that still stays as a sold item making part of my selling activity
Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

@symo10 wrote:
Well am just really new to this that is why I am asking, in the process of sorting out cashbook software but not sure how to start as I have to join palpay and bank reconciliations together? Just wasn't sure what ebay did as when in my activity when I bring up (All Status) it seems even the unpaid items are totaled up as sold so was just wondering if they didn't end up paying if that still stays as a sold item making part of my selling activity

I wouldn't exactly say you were "really new to this" given you have over 2,000 feedback as a seller, spanning several years.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

I do NOT rely on ebay's figures at all. I keep my own records.. If you do the same you will find ebay & your figures will not match. I have found this to be the case every year.  I prefer to rely on MY accounting rather than ebay's.

I hope this helpsโ™ฅ

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Thank you very much for your comment

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@symo10 wrote:

I wouldn't exactly say you were "really new to this" given you have over 2,000 feedback as a seller, spanning several years.

I'd say is at least "pretty new at this" - most of those feedback are in the last 6 months and all bar a hundred are in the last 12 months.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

@symo10 wrote:

if buyer doesn't pay I open up a unpaid case and get the fees back but does that sale get taken out of our sales balance as don't want to pay tax on non sales

eBay do not adjust any of the totals to account for UPI's, cancelled transactions, etc. (They actually have this as a small disclaimer on the sale reports page). 

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

wow so that's what happens when you ask a question, I didn' say the shop was new I said I was, I have just joined my friend and was wanting to understand abit more,  I thought that was what a discussion board was for,  didn't know that a couple of you would start judging good on yous you must of not needed any help when you started!!

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply