is it illegal or just immoral to buy something from bunnings for $400 and sell it on Ebay for $700?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

is it illegal or just immoral to buy something from bunnings for $400 and sell it on Ebay for $700?

free market economy.

Nothing wrong with that. Buyers should do their homework before buying.
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

it certainly isn't illegal. that's how the system works - people buy things for cheaper elsewhere and sell them for a profit. 

beware though, some buyers do get upset when they find out that items are being sold to them at a high markup which they could have gotten locally elsewhere. i remember reading some threads about people doing that with items from k-mart. 

my thoughts have always been that if they purchase the item at the price it's being sold for and didn't conduct their research, it's no ones fault but their own - but in the past, buyers have left sellers negative feedback for doing it. 

the simple fact is, every seller here buys their items from somewhere at a cheaper price than they sell them for - most though will do it through a means whereby other people can't get it at the same price or it's unavailable to people locally etc. 

don't know whether i would have mentioned it here though if i were you, a lot of sellers will start searching for what item it is you're talking about ๐Ÿ˜› 

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

If it was a 'buy it now' and a potential buyer does not like the price, nobody is forcing them to pay it

If it was an auction with whatever start bid and it was bid upto $700 , nobody made people bid up to it, it was the bidder(s) choice what they were willing to pay

Personally, although I would not buy something for x and then come on here and put a start bid of xxx , it is not just sellers on ebay who do this. Actual b&m stores have HUGE mark ups too. I wonder how many times you have made the comment they are illegal and immoral?

Or is it more annoyance that other people bid more than you did? 

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Sorry but it's neither just have a look at how the world goes around and around and around everyone is out to make a profit but as a buyer like everyone said you need to do your research.

But I'm guessing that your post has to do with you contemplating on doing it? buying from Bunnings and then reselling?

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

No, it is not illegal or immoral.

For all anyone knows, the item may have been massively discounted from RRP at Bunnings, bought at a sale.

But if it is usually $400 at Bunnings then I certainly would not mention where I got it from in the ad.

Don't expect buyers to be impressed if they find out though, they will feel ripped off.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

It is no different to Woolies selling a tin of beans for $2 and Coles selling it for $2.05. If someone buys from Coles and then sees the Woolies price later do they accuse Coles of doing something illegal or immoral?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Look I think i have an issue with listing Nintendo and Sony Handheld games, I know i sell over the SRP in stores, but in truth im lucky to make $5-$6 on an item, after registered post costs and shipping / handling and ofc EBAY/Paypal's 13% fee to ensure the product is delivered to the customer the safest and secure way possible (through the Mail System).

Nintendo and Sony (through 3rd party distributor) have a policy that the retailer can only make 20% (between wholesale (inc GST) and retail, the wholesale rate of buying a nintendo 3DS game with a $59.95 retail is 47.96 (43.13ex GST), reason why i import all my games, Sony PS VITA games are the same , this is buying through All Interactive as well, average wholesale rate on Nintendo 3DS Games in the UK is around ~22.00-24.00ex VAT pounds (we don't pay VAT ofc) so it costs me to land the item is about $44-45 (so i already save ~3.50 on buying local), A Registered Post label is 3.30, Postage 2.00 and tough bag about 42-50c, so registered post is about $5.80 (yes i could get express post enevelopes for .50c more, but i prefer the safe and secure option), so there is already 5.80 added to the shipping, that makes my cost price to ship. 

So example with the new game Story of Seasons Trio of Towns i have a listed price of 64.78 which is 4.83 over the $59.95 SRP, but in truth i landed the title for 44.54 for this item, that might sound a big profit margin but its not because ebay/paypal take 13% which brings price down to 56.35 then take off 5.80 postage down to 50.55 gives me a HUGE profit of 6.00. Now when July 1 hits next year and everyone pays 10% GST at the ebay checkout (unless you have already paid it at your supplier, or are registered for GST), its going to change the whole EBAY ball game, when all items will increase by 10%, good news for retail shops but bad news for everyday ebay sellers just trying to make a pretty penny.

So next year see MANY items over the Suggested Retail Price.

cheers 

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Not everything will increase by 10% next year.  Prices on ebay are supposed to be listed GST inclusive so any sellers already registered for GST are already including it in their prices.

It is only really going to affect imported goods and in many cases they will still be cheaper than the same goods already in Australia.

The devil will be in how the GST is applied and what other charges will be included.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply