managed payments any positive experiences

Been selling an ebay for 20 years and never posted here, but it's time to get some community feedback.  Is any seller on here on managed payments able to tell me they are better off, the fees are lower, etc.   I hesitate to post this, as I don't need to be bombarded with all the negative opions.  Just hoping there is at least 1 seller saying managed payments is good.

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

I have been on Managed Payments for a few months now and have only had one problem -  one week they were about 1 day late with their payment.  However I am only on weekly payments so can't comment on daily payments.  My money is always in my bank account by late afternoon of the payment date (and that's with ME bank which seem to take a bit longer with payments clearing than other banks).  The only other slight down side I find is that you have to be prepared to have the funds in Paypal for the store fees - otherwise I get charged a foreign transcation fee by my credit card provider.  Since going onto managed payments, I seem to get unlimited listings (I wasn't expecting that).

Message 2 of 41
Latest reply

I've been on Managed Payments since the end of August.

The fees are pretty much the same as before - about 13.5%. Fees are taken up front, so there are no more monthly invoices to pay, OTHER THAN your shop fees and any listing promotional fees. My Paypal is still linked to my account, so those fees are taken from there.

The system has worked fine - the first week there was a couple of days delay, but since then it has run smoothly. I've set my deposits to weekly. In the early hours of Tuesday mornings I get a message from Ebay that my funds are on their way, and it's in my bank account a few hours later.

I don't think we're better off under the new system, but we're not any worse off - it's just different.

Message 3 of 41
Latest reply

Not relevant to your situation, but for the smaller sellers there has been the added bonus of free listings - auction as well as BIN.

Message 4 of 41
Latest reply

Like most other sellers, the method in which money gets from the buyer to me is largely neither here nor there, as long as it does get to me and in a consistent, manageable way. Which ultimately means you won't find a lot of sellers (if any) who opted in to MP who are raving about it or saying it's better etc. I haven't had any problems with it myself, but at the same time there's nothing about it which I think would be a major benefit to sellers.

IMO Here are the key things to think about while you have the option to stay with the current payment methods:

Will you benefit from increased free listings?

Are you GST registered? (If not, the entire eBay fee will attract GST, not just the FVF - PayPal fees don't attract GST, so there can be an increase to cost for sellers there).

Do you sell in categories that can't accept managed payments? 

Do you have a lot of overseas customers? (From what I've read, there's no visibility on international sites and OS buyers have to log in to ebay AU to purchase - I haven't seen anyone mention whether they no longer get OS sales yet though, so I'm not sure if that has had a huge impact on sellers). 

Do you need fast and ready access to your funds? (eg, do you currently rely on being able to pay for postage directly with the buyer's payment for goods? If so, I'd recommend saving up a small fund in a bank account to pay for postage before the switchover). 

Message 5 of 41
Latest reply

International as far as I can tell is still the same.

Message 6 of 41
Latest reply

From the responses, it sounds like eBay have ironed out all those problems in the early days where payments were being heavily delayed. There were so many posts about it on here weeks ago.
Message 7 of 41
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

Not relevant to your situation, but for the smaller sellers there has been the added bonus of free listings - auction as well as BIN.

Is it also possible to save on store fees by dropping from, say, Level 2 down to Level 1 and still getting unlimited free listings?

Message 8 of 41
Latest reply

Yes, that's what I did.

Dropped back to the cheapest store & saved on fees, & I also get unlimited free listings.  Fees are basically the same.

I've not had one problem with MP, & my payments go to my bank daily (except for weekends)

I consider it to be a WIN/WIN situation!

Message 9 of 41
Latest reply

all early issues are ironed out - not by ebay by the way they didnt have a clue- by me investigating using this forum. but the one thing i find trickier than before is local pickup - the payment on a weekend is there but processing and the buyer wants to pickup...... bit of finger crossing and trust that the payment will go thru after goods are gone...

the buyer has seen his money gone so doesnt understand why im hesitate to give up the goods

Message 10 of 41
Latest reply