managed payments fiasco

mben8427
Community Member

I recently sold some cups and saucers on Ebay. It was a small transaction. My ad stated pickup only. My buyer who lives in another town got in touch to say she had paid and would come to pick up the goods when I had received the funds. I went to PayPal looking for the funds and found none but a message that the funds were on  hold on Ebay's instructions. I contacted Ebay and was told they didn't use Paypal any more and to be paid I would have to register and provide banking details to have the funds paid in there. I did this. No funds appeared in the nominated bank account. I checked back in Paypal -- the same situation as before but a message saying I should provide tracking advice to Ebay that the goods had been sent to the buyer's address (my ad clearly said pickup only). I contacted Ebay through chat (I have the transcript).

I quote from this transcript:

As a new seller, we'll hold your funds for 90 days from your first successful sale, your first 25 transactions and your first A$250 in sales. You must meet all qualifications for your funds to stop being held.

- I am 80 years old. I rarely use EBay so have absolutely no hope of raking up 25 transactions in what remains of my lifetime and , to boot, making $250 in sales.
- Nowhere was this possibility mentioned when I was forced to give my banking details (and licence number and birthdate).
- The sale has always been through pickup yet the requirement is that tracking information be sent to verify delivery!
- I am not a new seller. I have sold a few items before without problems. It seems I am new only because EBay's system is new.

I doubt that I am the only person trapped in this mess created by EBay's change of payment system. As it stands, the buyer has paid, she will pick up the goods and I will have no payment, possibly ever, given these three requirements stated above, all of which I must meet and am very unlikely to be able to do so.

Has the world gone mad?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: managed payments fiasco

And...no mention was made of your more than generous offer to provide needed feedback by buying his empty envelopes.

You can't help those  won't help themselves.

Nice guys finish last  -  keep that in mind for the future Slr sales.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@mben8427 wrote:

I contacted Ebay through chat (I have the transcript).

I quote from this transcript:

As a new seller, we'll hold your funds for 90 days from your first successful sale, your first 25 transactions and your first A$250 in sales. You must meet all qualifications for your funds to stop being held.

ok, I was curious about the 90 day hold on funds you posted about so I did some investigating.  It seems that the “90 days” isn’t a payment hold. The need for 25 feedbacks and having $250 in sales and waiting 90 days . . . these are the requirements to become an “established seller”.  The person you had a chat session with got it wrong (if what you quoted is exactly what was in the transcript).

Fancy that, eBay Chat that gives out incorrect advice!  Who would have thought?

Here’s an eBay page that explains it, with a screengrab of the relevant section below:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=...

35FE053B-F500-47EE-A153-8FD7CA33BC35.jpeg

If you are contacting eBay Chat about this then make sure you have a webpage open that shows the information I have given above.

Spoiler
Considering the fact that eBay Chat gave you wrong information, I withdraw my offer to help you get some feedback by buying a used stamp on an addressed envelope.

I wish you well with your selling
Spoiler
you posted earlier that my reply PM to you “contained more emoticons than words”.  I think you should have gone to SpecSavers . . . there were 2½ times as many words as emoticons!   🤔🤣😂

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

"And...no mention was made of your more than generous offer to provide needed feedback by buying his empty envelopes."

is that what it has come to? .. buying empty envelopes? ... realistically I think people have better things to do with their time then attempt to game the ebay system so they can actually use it and get around ebay roadblocks .. anyway the moral of the story is ebay is now glitchbay ..

ebay jpeg.jpg

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

wait up!

I collect used stamps!  The easiest way for me to buy a stamp is for it to be placed on an envelope and posted to me!

“game the eBay system” . . . me . . . never

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

I have worked out what has happened .. ebay said they are doing this mangled payments (fiasco) for the regulator ..

so clearly the regulator said .. "ebay destroy your website there" .. and ebay says .. "yes sir with pleasure  .. but first we need to torture the mom and pop sellers with never ending recurring glitches" .. regulators says, "yah bro .. we love dat stuff .. give the plebs hell there .. make em hurt" .. ebay says "we never miss a chance to boot the in and well with all the glitches on the site .. we will make an extra billion in google adclicks as the sellers scramble for the exits and try and cancel there accounts" .. "and then we will be all self-congratulating over this one .. champagne corks will be popping for sure .. and wait till they see what is in the winter/summer release" .. regulator says "what more dilution of product? .. some sneaky data mining? .. what are you upto there you sneaky old dog?" .. ebay exec says "haha .. its a surprise" .. we are improving the seller experience again .. regulator says .. "haha .. you guys .. you crack me up .." ..

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

yet Managed Payments is working fine for me.  I chose to get payments on Tuesdays.  Received notification on Tues morning that a payment had been made and it showed in my bank account by lunchtime.  Works for me.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

"yet Managed Payments is working fine for me.  I chose to get payments on Tuesdays.  Received notification on Tues morning that a payment had been made and it showed in my bank account by lunchtime.  Works for me."

I signed up for the glitch riddled ebay managed payments and now I am too afraid to list anything to sell on ebay  .. not working for me ..

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply