militar item listings on ebay cancelled

Anyone having issues selling military items on ebay. I am repeatedly having listings for standard old surplus items removed. Many of these I had purchased on ebay years ago. 

I have obtained permission to buy and sell military items via Minister of Defence , ADF, ADF Brand Management. the permission covers a wide range of items. The letter is displayed on the second photo on the listing, mention of the authority to sell in bold are on the first line on description section.

Items I am selling are not unique and several of the same or similar are listed in relevant categories constantly. 

below is a message I receive.

"You listed an Australian Defence Forces uniform component. Australian Defence Force items can be sold with the written authority of the Minister for Defence or a person authorised in writing by the minister. Any listing for Defence Force items must clearly show this written authority. We appreciate you chose to utilize our site, but we must ask you to please follow the guidelines in this notice.."

any hints on trying to resolve the listing battle would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I think a lot of these things are Bot driven on ebay. The system has caught onto one or two key words in your listing or description and automatically pulled them and sent you that message.

All I can suggest is contact chat and ask a rep to actually look at one of the pulled listings. It says in the warning that any listing must clearly show the written authority. Ask the rep to look at your photos to see that you have actually done this. See if there is anything else you need to do.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

You have

OBSOLETE , SURPLUS NO LONGER ISSUED OR USED

in your description. Try putting that in your title, or at least OBSOLETE. I notice you have done this sometimes so try it all the time. I  rarely sell obsolete military uniform items, I do not have the authorities you hold; I had this problem with eBay only once but when I re-listed with Obsolete Not Current in the title it was fine. I do the same for all uniform collectable items -  military patches, buttons for Police, Fire, etc - may not be necessary but I have never had any further trouble. I would also suggest putting 1970s Vietnam (or whatever)  in the title. I know you have them in the item Specifics but in my experience people mainly search in the Title - but you may know better in your field. Good Luck.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Gday Springyzone, thanks, This has been going on for months. I have tried to discuss with reps it is completely pointless. I had success once with someone that I thought was aussie based and she sorted straight away. But it is lottery as to who you get. I don't even think the others were based in Australia.   I have relisted some in a different way, they then took the listings down again and they then called them government and policing violations.  The 40- year old ex-military shirt and trousers goes from military to classed as government/policing just so it can be removed.  

As for displaying the Authority to sell, the letter of authority is the second photo on the listing and on the first line of my description in bold is referring to the authority letter. The last listings that were taken down I had even mentioned the authority to sell within the title. 

I am a collector been doing it for years, there is a couple of things I will buy on ebay in the next week or so and then take a break. hey as a buyer it will save me $1000's. If I am chasing something I can get the same or similar things direct from overseas without the GST and from private sellers and some bricks and mortar stores in Oz but with a little more hassle-emails etc. I have removed most of my listings now and added a paragraph to existing listings for those watching them that they won't be relisted for some time when they expire in a couple of days. Not a knee jerk reaction, I have cancer and I am tired of having to list, relist, contact, negotiate and fight for what should be standard set and forget . I have followed policy obtained written permission from ADF- Minister Defence to buy and sell military items. That in its self- took 12 months of follow up to get, all to appease eBay. The worst thing is a lot of these items I bought in good faith off the eBay platform years ago. Now they say the same item can't be sold, when clearly there are hundreds of similar items listed daily.  I am just trying to lighten unwanted items from my storeroom full of militaria (thousands of items) before willing to my son in the very near future. Appreciate the reply.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Gday mate, yep done all that tried all that wording etc. This has been going on too long and am a little worn out from it all. Should be set and forget but not so. Buy off the platform in good faith and then get mucked around. i put a lengthy reply up to another respondent to give you an idea. cheers

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I wish you all the best.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I have a good friend that sells militaria as well, I've sent him a link to this thread in case he has any ideas on what to do.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks mate, appreciated. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Gday Mate, just wanted to say thankyou. I have chatted with a few folk on this. even though I have done various listing styles/ types, titles etc I will further try alternatives. Had my cadet / ares 1970's greens taken down 3 times , have others but I just found it amazing that these were what i was wearing in the early 80's been mine for 40years but still listing removed. I had been pushed to the point and absolutely fatigued. I will persevere. I will mix up the list too not all or too much aust gear and use alternative cats as well. Anyway thanks really appreciate your input and info.  

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply