overseas seed sellers

Why doesnt ebay australia ban overseas sellers selling seeds when the seller knows quite right that the seeds will be confiscated by customs ???

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: overseas seed sellers

You would have to ask eBay.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

sorry to have asked here when that is the response
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I am not sure how other buyers and sellers would know what eBay's 'reason' is

My guess it is because eBay make money from such sales

Like I say, a guess

Why do buyers buy things like seeds/plants etc from overseas without considering they are more than likely prohibited in some if not most states and checking the appropriate websites first?

Or do buyers not have any responsibilty at all to check what can be legally brought into the country where *they* are located

Or stick with buying from sellers actually in Australia instead?

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I don't know that Customs confiscate all seeds.

Don't they irradiate them or something?

But here's some reading for you.

I haven't read it all yet.   smiley looking.gif

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/goods/plant-products/seeds-for-sowing

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/goods/plant-products/seeds-for-sowing/contaminants-tolerance

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

eBay is an automated advertising site and cannot vet millions of listings.

As well, it is the buyer's responsibility to know if an item is allowed to be imported not the seller's responsibility.

A seller cannot be expected to know regulations of all Nations hence it has always been up to the buyer to know their local laws.

As mentioned many seeds and plant materials are permitted to be imported with the correct procedures and permits.

image host
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@kenstokoe wrote:

Why doesnt ebay australia ban overseas sellers selling seeds when the seller knows quite right that the seeds will be confiscated by customs ???

How do you know that the seller knows that all seeds will be confiscated?

The simple answer is that the sellers don't know what will be confiscated and what is allowed to be imported.  As well as that, different Australian states have different rules.

I have a friend who had a magnificent garden of mainly imported plants.

She was sensible enough to check hat could and could not be imorted into her state.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I have received four notifications from australian customs, advising me of confiscations.... I have received my money back, MINUS the GST paid.... please explain to me where that GST money goes ??

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

The sellers must have refunded you just to shut you up.....they are not required to refund for confiscated items.

The sellers themselves would not have collected the GST...that would have been collected by ebay and unless the refund was done via the link in the payment ebay would not even be aware that the item had been refunded.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@kenstokoe wrote:

I have received four notifications from australian customs, advising me of confiscations.... 

I would tend to be very careful on what you import now with that many seizures by customs, your name will undoubtedly be on their list for extra inspections.

After a while they won't just confiscate your imports, they'll fine you for attempting it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply