postage cost more than thought

Hello I sold an item, did all the calculations, weight, size, etc and it apparenly would have cost $15. Sent it today and cost me $18 to ACT so it actually cost me. Also it was only a 1kg parceal. Why is this

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: postage cost more than thought

I looked into that but lots of items must be packed better and don't fit into these plastic bags. I use boxes.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

If you look under the ebay "postal supplies" catagory, you can buy boxes designed to fit inside the satchels.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

There are 3 size satchels (bags) 500gm, 3kg and a huge 5kg satchel which is $17 aus wide.

They are compact, easily stored and cheap to buy in packs of 10.

If you buy the ebay satchels without the pre-paid component, you can use the ebay labels then you are billed on your ebay invoice meaning you do not have to pay postage for the satchels in advance. Only when someone has bought and paid and then when the invoice is due. Up to 6 weeks from when they purchased and paid for their order.

You have your tracking automatically linked to your order and no time is wasted writing out addresses.

I use boxes (in a satchel) at times but mainly just wrap in bubble wrap and put in the satchel. 

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

MY 2 cent on this people need to be careful with the postage cost and do their homework pre-sale. In the case of the OP did you realise that even if the postage cost was $15 it would in fact cost you 17.20 with ebay/paypal fees on top if it was 18 it would actually cost you $21.If you charged $15 postage and it cost you $18 to send you will in fact lose about $5.20 off your profit margin. You need to work out the correct costs Postage/packing, ebay/paypal fees, returned items, stolen items(just because we work in cyberspace do not think we do not have shop lifters 😉 ) otherwise you will end up losing money

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply