posting item with $8.30 worth of stamps

pko_pec
Community Member

Hello all,

I have a question regarding stamps, and I was not able to find this on the Aus Post website or eBay (would love to see a link if you do know where it is). If I was told an item would cost $8.30 to post in a standard small AusPost satchel, am I allowed to use my own packaging and put $8.30 worth of stamps on the package? Assuming of course the size of the package is that of a small satchel and under 500 grams?

I know this might be a stupid question but I wanted to confirm that I can use my stamps as opposed to paying the same amount at the post office (where they don't put stamps but just a barcode/sticker). I want to use stamps for convenience as I can walk to the mailbox and put the item in as opposed to driving to the post office everytime I want to send something off.

Kind regards,

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: posting item with $8.30 worth of stamps

I personally would not be risking such a thing as you would obviously have no tracking and if a buyer claims an item has not arrived you would instantly lose any case opened against you

I walk to the post office (about 20 minutes away each way) there is no way I would put anything other than a letter in a street mailbox, especially not something I sold on eBay given how many scammers less than honest people there are out for a freebie

Not to mention the items that really do go missing,if you have tracking you can at least prove you really did send it

eBay will take the buyer's word every single time without tracking 

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

@pko_pec wrote:

Hello all,

I have a question regarding stamps, and I was not able to find this on the Aus Post website or eBay (would love to see a link if you do know where it is). If I was told an item would cost $8.30 to post in a standard small AusPost satchel, am I allowed to use my own packaging and put $8.30 worth of stamps on the package? Assuming of course the size of the package is that of a small satchel and under 500 grams?

Yes you could but as pointed out, you would have no proof of postage.  

Why not use your own packaging and use the ebay label option?    You just need to tape it to the parcel.    Ebay provides tracking for you then.   You do need a printer tho.

Or buy a bulk lot of Aust Post 500g satchels, so you wlll have them ready.   They will also have tracking nos.

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

With Australia Post parcels, you can get 632 prefix tracking numbers from the PO for free.

For parcels that are not particularly valuable, we put the $8.30 in stamps on them and the 632 prefix tracking number.

This number provides tracking but no signature.

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

pko_pec
Community Member

Hello all, 

Thank you for the information and quick resonses, oh wow, I actually didn't even think about the scamming aspect, I forget there are creepos out there that would do that!

Yes then paying $8.30 so tracking is included in the post office is much better than $8.30 worth of stamps. For me it was about convenience as I have a whole bunch of stamps, but in this case I will just use them for regular mail.

Good to know that technically it is the same, except minus the tracking capability.

Kind regards,

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

Your local Post Office should be able to give you the APO tracking stickers for Free I get a box of 50 at a time (No cost) you then have  at home to put on for tracking but not signed for after putting $8.30 worth of stamps, I tend to put only $8.00 worth of stamps on and buy 30 cents worth from the Post Office stick them on there and post over the counter they will then scan the item and give you a sending  printed reciept . My Post Office is happy with that lucky for me.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

Unfortunately our post office says that the tracking stickers are only free for business customers.

They insist on us paying extra for signature on delivery to get a label.

We have found a way around it - if the difference between the stamps and the actual cost is over $1.00, they can print a label with tracking.

Our local post office franchise was bought by new people late last year and they stick to what they were "told in their training" - the previous people had been there for over 20 years and always gave us a label for free.
Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

The whole point of the OP post is that they don't want to go to the PO - so we need to look at alternatives they can use, to be able to post in their red box.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

I'd be ringing AP and asking them about it. If the new people have it wrong then AP will let them know. Your PO people may not like it but in the long run it might work out best.

@ pko_pec, my postmaster told me several years ago that a lot of parcels are stolen just for the stamps so I hope you're using boring ones on parcels.
Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

ww of stamps, I have a post office like that a few burbs away.  I complained to Aus post, and they said they can't do anything if its not a business post office / a private one.  the owner will not give you an article id for your parcel even though they are free to customers  as stated on the AP website.  he says the labels cost him money!  so yes I hear you (and take my business elsewhere - including the my overseas posting ) another local post office said they get paid a percentage from every transaction and is only too happy to have customers!

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply