posting item with $8.30 worth of stamps

pko_pec
Community Member

Hello all,

I have a question regarding stamps, and I was not able to find this on the Aus Post website or eBay (would love to see a link if you do know where it is). If I was told an item would cost $8.30 to post in a standard small AusPost satchel, am I allowed to use my own packaging and put $8.30 worth of stamps on the package? Assuming of course the size of the package is that of a small satchel and under 500 grams?

I know this might be a stupid question but I wanted to confirm that I can use my stamps as opposed to paying the same amount at the post office (where they don't put stamps but just a barcode/sticker). I want to use stamps for convenience as I can walk to the mailbox and put the item in as opposed to driving to the post office everytime I want to send something off.

Kind regards,

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: posting item with $8.30 worth of stamps

Fair point mate. I had thought the comments on the thread had already pointed out the problems with posting in a street box with stamps and no tracking. The OP had agreed and commented on this . I then went to the possible soluton which was to still use stamps but to overcome the potential for INR claimed from no tracking which was to lodge over the counter. 

So I wasnt replying to their opening question rather replying to the advice they had recieved. I hope thats OK with you.

Message 21 of 35
Latest reply

Thank you for the tip curraone, I think at the time I set up the posting for my listing I went for what I thought was the standard option, but I will definetely change it to your suggestion just to avoid any grumpy buyers. I have to admit, I haven't had any drama thus far, but over time it will be bound to happen if I am not precise!

Message 22 of 35
Latest reply

I have to say, I can't remember the last time I have come across a more helpful bunch of people in a forum/message board before! So thank you all.

Yes to clarify, my original question did wonder if it was OK to post via stamps only rather than drive to the post office, but seeing as I could get caught by a scam without having the tracking on, I think I rather drive to the post office or follow some of the suggestions in this thread rather than putting stamps only. So I like to consider my question answered, though if anyone else wants to add anything I will happily keep the thread open for a few more days.

Thank you all again for all the information!

Message 23 of 35
Latest reply

Sorry to burst your bubble but you have no say in whether this thread remains open.  It is a public forum and remains open forever so others may read and comment.

It may slip down the page and not get any more attention.  As long as you have your answer and are happy you don't need to come back again.

Message 24 of 35
Latest reply

Oh sorry, I thought threads closed after the question have been answered as in other forums. No problem, thanks again everyone!

Message 25 of 35
Latest reply

Nope, they remain here forever, waiting to be bumped by the unsuspecting person who hits Quick Reply to the very first post without reading the rest. Smiley Happy

As for stamps, my post office (Eastland Shopping Centre) always does this for the smaller parcels (always 8 $1 stamps and a 30c one), I think they're actually trying to get rid of all the $1 stamps (I hope it isn't a sign of the times that stamps are going up again, but it is inevitable and has been nearly 4 years since the last price gouge hike). The vending machine in the carpark still has the 2015 issue flower stamps so they must be overstocked with four years of stamps being the same value.

Message 26 of 35
Latest reply

I just wanted to give a differing opinion on street posting boxes.

Perhaps AP's systems have improved, I'm a fairly new seller (nearly 2 years), and started using the red boxes before coming to these forums. I've never had a problem with them. I have seen many of the more experienced sellers say that the red boxes are to be avoided because of potential issues with tracking.

Undoubtedly the risk of something going wrong is greater, but in my own opinion that risk is low. I often put things in the red box outside the open AP branch just to avoid the queue. If I had a box that was close enough to walk to, I would certainly use it.

I suspect that AP used to have lots of issues with packages posted in the red boxes, but they have improved their systems in recent years. I suspect that AP's scanners in their distribution centres have been upgraded and are more accurate.

Here is an item that I put in a red box on Tuesday 25/6 at 4pm:

tracking.JPG

The one thing I will say is not to trust the times listed on the box. I always try to post at least an hour before the listed time incase it gets emptied early. That box says that it gets collected at 5pm. The one I used today says it is collected at 2pm and I was there at 1pm.

Message 27 of 35
Latest reply

The main problem is when the postie doesn't scan them at all. But then again, I have had the same thing happen over the post office counter.

I use the red boxes for letters (small and large e.g. DVDs) all the time as it saves waiting behind a hundred people just to post something, and the fact that Australia Post's trading hours are ridiculous. If someone bought something at 2PM Saturday afternoon I would have to wait all the way until Monday to post something because the postal service is still in the 1950s. Why can't they be open until 9PM every day like Officeworks?
Message 28 of 35
Latest reply

@purplemon18 wrote:

I just wanted to give a differing opinion on street posting boxes.

Perhaps AP's systems have improved, I'm a fairly new seller (nearly 2 years), and started using the red boxes before coming to these forums. I've never had a problem with them. I have seen many of the more experienced sellers say that the red boxes are to be avoided because of potential issues with tracking.

Undoubtedly the risk of something going wrong is greater, but in my own opinion that risk is low. I often put things in the red box outside the open AP branch just to avoid the queue. If I had a box that was close enough to walk to, I would certainly use it.

I suspect that AP used to have lots of issues with packages posted in the red boxes, but they have improved their systems in recent years. I suspect that AP's scanners in their distribution centres have been upgraded and are more accurate.

Here is an item that I put in a red box on Tuesday 25/6 at 4pm:

tracking.JPG

The one thing I will say is not to trust the times listed on the box. I always try to post at least an hour before the listed time incase it gets emptied early. That box says that it gets collected at 5pm. The one I used today says it is collected at 2pm and I was there at 1pm.

However this does not work for the OP's original idea, because he was going to use stamps.    In which case there would be no tracking.

Message 29 of 35
Latest reply

Our local dump has a recycling centre which employs people with disabilities. As part of the service, they run a huge salvage yard full of useful stuff, taken from trailers before they hit land fill. People often donate full households from deceased estates etc. as it is a great service.

Perusing the shelves in one of their sheds, I found a big stack of Australia Post yearbooks with $30-$40 worth of MUH stamps included in their little sleeves. They where only $12 per book, so I purchased the lot to use on my parcels. I have a roll of AP barcodes so will use these, but may end up putting the parcels over the counter of my local AP to get a scanning reciept. Never used stamps on parcels before, so it should be an interesting experiment.

Message 30 of 35
Latest reply