public liability

Hi, just wandering how many have public liability insurance for their ebay store, have tried to find out and was told

I wouldn't get it because I sell to many bits and pieces any advice please Thanks

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

public liability

If you are selling enough to be termed a business, you will need public liability insurance if you allow people to pick up purchases. Ditto to protect you against theft - ie were the thieves there to rob the business or the home?  Most insurance companies that offer business cover should be able to advise you or alternatively there are brokers who will assess the cover you need, and then put it out to companies to come up with packages.

As I said initially, this can depend on whether you are deemed to be a business. Same as for taxation!

Marina.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

public liability

Why would you need public liability for an online shop? It's not like a person can walk into it and trip over and injure themselves.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

public liability

Maybe they could trip over walking while shopping in your online store on the phone.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

public liability

They probably mean product liability.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

public liability

I'm a tad worried now..............they're selling this bumper sticker............

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

public liability

If you are selling enough to be termed a business, you will need public liability insurance if you allow people to pick up purchases. Ditto to protect you against theft - ie were the thieves there to rob the business or the home?  Most insurance companies that offer business cover should be able to advise you or alternatively there are brokers who will assess the cover you need, and then put it out to companies to come up with packages.

As I said initially, this can depend on whether you are deemed to be a business. Same as for taxation!

Marina.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

public liability

I would think that Insurance would only be necessary if the seller was selling items that might cause harm to the buyer such as electrical equipment, chargers etc.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

public liability

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I would think that Insurance would only be necessary if the seller was selling items that might cause harm to the buyer such as electrical equipment, chargers etc.

I agree, there was a case a couple of years ago where a girl in Penrith was electrocuted by a cheapo Chinese 240v~5v charging adapter.

I believe she was using headphones that were plugged into it while using her laptop which offered a return path as it was also plugged into another wall socket at the time.

The seller was a shopping centre stall operator who was in deep trouble over the product not actually coming up to Aus spec.

The same scenario would cause an online seller grief too.

In the bad old days, any appliance to be sold in Aus had to go through a local approval process to get a standards compliance tick.

In these improved times of global free trade all the manufacturer has to do is claim the item complies and he's good to go.

As it's virtually impossible to drag a dodgy manufacturer out of Shenzen the authorities will go for the low hanging fruit ie the poor seller who believed the manufacturers claims.

I don't know how the case above settled but product liability insurance would be a good thing to have in that scenario.

The insurance company would fight the case tooth and nail.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

public liability

thank you
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

public liability

thanks all for your comments
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply