return request defects

I think it is time to start winding down my business on ebay ... if I could even call it that these days

I do not mind offering returns for buyers whom dont like the item, does not fit etc however when they open return requests which lead to instant defects regardless of other buyers having been positive on the item that they claim is otherwise and then not even follow through on returning the item I am left with the defect

I have never opted to ask ebay to step in to resolve as I have heard on the boards that their idea of resolving an issue is simply to refund the buyer in full and sometimes without the item having even been returned

could someone who has asked ebay to step in let me know the outcome and whether it was a fair valuation

thanks

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: return request defects

I asked Ebay to step in for my first NAD return request that I received. I felt the item was as described.
What happened was when I asked Ebay to step in - within 45 seconds the case was closed out to the buyer and I had to accept the return and refund.
Not only did I earn a defect for the NAD return request, but I earnt another defect for case not resolved by seller - this is the instance where you earn 2 defects for one transaction and you are only allowed 3 cases not resolved by seller per 12 months - any more and you do not meet the minimum requirements to sell on Ebay.
When you ask Ebay to step in - no actual person looks at the merits of your case - a robot decided and from what happened to me and what I have read on the boards is that the robot decides in favour of the buyer every single time, within seconds.
I was fortunate that the robot system, after deciding in the buyers favour, directed the buyer to return the item to me, which thankfully he did and I got to get my item back and had to give him a refund.
Although it hasn't happened to me, yet, I have read of cases both on these boards and the US and UK boards where the Ebay system said the buyer could keep the item and the seller had to refund the money as well. So seller had no item and no money. Buyer got to keep item and got refund from seller as well (Ebay just take it out of your PayPal account to give to the buyer)

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

thank you so much for your informative reply ... guess I wont be contacting ebay to step in anytime soon

unless it is to inform them to close my store lol

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Every single time I have contacted Ebay about anything unfair or not logical, they have refused to help and automtically sided with the buyer - and that wasnt bots, they were Ebay employees on the phone and email.

That includes, not as described return requuests when what the buyer complained about was clearly written in the descripton, negative feedback that contained false statements (that I could prove were false via email exchanges between the buyer and myself), and a buyer leaving negative feedback one day after the item was mailed (I posted day after sale and item did not have time to arrive).

Ebay doesnt just not help,  they seem to go out of their way to alienate sellers completely, while violating Australian consumer law, and anything that is logical and reasonable.

I think if anyone wants to sell here, they have to accept they will get ripped off, unfair refunds, unfair negs, and Ebay will not help them and they have to factor that into their item prices and business plan.

From waht Ive seen here, there arent enough sellrs who want to actually do anything about it (other than complain), so its no going to change anytime soon.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I am one of the complainers. Ebay policy specifically state terms like decision in their policy (specifically for the MBG), I would argue that there is no decision made at all by ebay, usually people make an informed decision, which is clearly not the case.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

it doesnt matter if there is a decision or not, or if that term is used or not. They can use a 8 ball if they chose, to "make a decision". Either way, all that is completely irrelevant. Ebay and their policies do not override Australian Consumer Law, and they do not override authorities such as the Financial Ombudsman, and the ACCC, among others, that would force them to make logical and reasonable decisions, or make them for them,  if enough sellers made appropriate formal complaints.  Every. Single. Time.

Unfortunately, many sellers here dont understand the basics, and are too lazy to educate themelves, so when they make complaints they are completely invalid and do nothing but hurt seller credibility (as we've seen from a certain change.org petitions that went around).

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

This has become a major problem with selling with me also.

4 items in one month i have lost all money on them, so buyers got them for free. leaving me in a loss.

Just yesterday i had a return request stating "something is wrong with the item" even after buyer left positive feedback about how happy they were, and once again i have to fork out the payment for postage or easier for me to just let the buyer keep the item and refund the amount as return shipping wouldnt be worth it for me.

I believe this is a major scam going on and buyers know who to target to score free items.

I dont understand why ebay doesnt prompt buyers to send photos as proof before holding funds and forcing sellers to accept returns.

I once again asked ebay to step in and once again they agreed with the buyer and forced me to either pay for shipping or refund and let buyer keep item!!

How is this justice!!!

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply