returns for when an item doesnt fit?

hello

i sold a pair of boots, listed as Top End 37.5 Boots Heels Shoes Tan Buckle Zip 7cm Heel Leather

my items are listed as "no returns"

buyer has requested a return

Reason = Doesn't fit

Comments

Hello, I received the boots today (10 August). I am very impressed with the quality and colour, gorgeous. Unfortunately they do not fit. I think they are a 6 and a half. Sometimes a 37 = a 6. So the boots are 37.5, which I believe are a 6.5. So I am asking if I can return the boots. Kind regards and keep safe, Rosanna

the size was in the description & in the photos

there is nothing wrong with the boots

the postage was quite expensive as I had to send in an extra large satchel with lots of bubble wrap

what would you do?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Despite having no returns on your listing, she is effectively asking for a change of mind return, which falls under the no returns. If you say no, there's a better than even chance she will then open a dispute for item not as described, and make up some excuse other than the don't fit. Some people will even go so far as to damage an item.

I would suggest accepting the return. When the boots arrive back, return the purchase cost only. Change of mind returns, unless otherwise specified, the buyer pays the postage both ways. Try and avoid any situation that could encourage her to open a dispute.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Despite having no returns on your listing, she is effectively asking for a change of mind return, which falls under the no returns. If you say no, there's a better than even chance she will then open a dispute for item not as described, and make up some excuse other than the don't fit. Some people will even go so far as to damage an item.

I would suggest accepting the return. When the boots arrive back, return the purchase cost only. Change of mind returns, unless otherwise specified, the buyer pays the postage both ways. Try and avoid any situation that could encourage her to open a dispute.

I agree, that is the path of least resistance (and possibly the better outcome for the seller) but there was no mention of 6 or 6.5 in the listing, only 37.5 so surely that is a moot point

Curious - wouldn't ebay look at the messages (with some prompting from the seller) if the buyer opened a dispute and clearly see that she wanted a change of mind return because they didn't fit - no mention of damage in that message

Sometimes there is advice that buyers should ask questions first and other times it's sellers should give in to buyers. Selling seems to be a hard gig these days!

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Let her know that her best option is to onsell the item, as she will be responsible for the initial  $20.00 postage + the cost of return, and also that she will not be refunded the non-refundable paypal charges that have been incurred as a result of the transaction.  So she would only be looking at a refund in the vicinity of  $40.00

Normally buyers will see that on selling is their best option.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

In addition to the above advice from gutterpunkz, offer to send her the photos you used in the listing to make it easier for her to put them up for sale, and save her time.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

-edited -

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

-edited -

Yes, true—I think that's a good point and well worth their consideraton given the circumstances. A boot in the upper hand is worth two in the bush.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you everyone for your advice , I have recommended that the buyer onsells the boots we shall see what happens
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Cezm has a good point in that the buyer has already said they want to return the boots because they don't fit. Your policy does not accept returns for change of mind / incorrect fit.

So if the buyer does file an "item not as described" dispute, and ebay do read the messages (which they will if you get them on live chat), they MAY actually deny the dispute and close it in your favour.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply