reusing someones photographs

this might sound like a silly question, but if I sell an item with photographs I have taken. Can someone then resell that item with my photographs used for that item?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: reusing someones photographs

No the photos are copyrighted. Common decency would be to ask you if you would be so kind as to allow them to your pictures.
I have allowed buyer to use my pics and descriptions on occasions to on sell and item.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

@survivoroz wrote:

this might sound like a silly question, but if I sell an item with photographs I have taken. Can someone then resell that item with my photographs used for that item?

Here is some ebay info on copyright:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/copyrights.html

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

It is decency, to ask first.

also, it is eBay policy. You can report any listing that is using any part of your original listing, including photos, without your permission.

so the onseller needs to ask, and you can say yes, if you are happy for them to, but otherwise no.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

also, it is eBay policy. You can report any listing that is using any part of your original listing, including photos, without your permission.

When I found another seller using my pictures and/or text I made screen shots and included anything that showed dates to prove mine was there first/the original. Without the 'evidence' and me protesting I think ebay would have taken much longer to remove the offending listing.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Only one question to ask though.

At one time Ebay started a "catalogue" system that you had to opt out of.

So has this been stopped or has it been tested in a court with all of Ebays dubious other policies?

when it started I opted out  but lately have not heard it discussed .

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I've reported listings that have copied parts of my descriptions and the listings have disappeared pretty promptly. I asked one seller to remove it and they ended their listing, but they relisted it a week later and probably hoped I wouldn't notice. I didn't muck around but reported them straight away. It would have been quite obvious to ebay that they'd copied my description and I quoted my listing (finished) so they could check it.

I'm not fussed too much about photos if someone wants to use mine, providing they bought the item from me in the first place, but when it's a very personalised description I'm not so lenient!
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

It is still there under My eBay, Account, Site preferences:

image.jpg

I have opted out.

that setting allows eBay to use your photos.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

If it is a single item then I don't have a problem with a buyer reselling using my photo..................as long as they ask first. If they don't ask then I report them.

I once had a very cheeky buyer think they could get away with it because they bought the item on ebay but listed it on a certain other site. Unfortunately for them I sold there too and the other site were happy to remove the cheeky so and so's listing even though I quoted the ebay item listing as my evidence of owning the copyright.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

It is still there under My eBay, Account, Site preferences:

image.jpg

I have opted out.

that setting allows eBay to use your photos.

Does anyone know how to 'access' the ebay product/picture catalog - am curious to know whether any of my pictures have been added to it without my knowledge. I just spent an hour (!!) with live help and managed to get cut off....still don't have an answer

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply