selling for many years - no sales 7 days

Hi to you all - I have been selling on ebay for some years and these last couple of months have been my lowest sales in years.

In January I had a couple of sales and have not had a sale in 7 days.

I do sell fabric - so not a must have item - but since the end of last year these have been my lowest ever.

Is ebay only promoting the big businesses? Is there some restriction on my shop, which I do not know about? My feedback does not indicate my customers are unhappy. 

I have actually stopped listing unsold - what is the point - there are no sales. I really do not know what to do. My prices are competetive with everyone else. Is ebay wanting to shut down small shops?  Seven days without a sale ? never happened before.

iwould appreciate advice as to what to do - close shop? where else would  I go to sell fabric?  I would really like to hear from someone else as this is very stressful. Thank you

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: selling for many years - no sales 7 days

@chameleon54 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

Maybe I sell things that people want at prices they are prepared to pay.

I,ve highlighted this because I think this little nugget from dave is probably the key to success on ebay. There is a lot of items on ebay that no-one simply wants. They are either out of fashion or available from China for a third of the price.

I still get stung with this from time to time. I purchased a bulk lot of items for $500 recently. They related to a particular hobby. Four years ago this hobby was going gang busters and we made A LOT of money catering to it. Now, I,m battling to move the items at any price and still havnt even covered my initial outlay yet. Some of the items I purchased I may have to throw in the bin.

If something is not selling, there is no point wasting time and effort on just listing more of the same, at a cheap price and hoping some-one will buy it for a few dollars. Find something that people want and that does actually sell and concentrate efforts in that field.

I think there's a lot more to it than having what people want to buy.  Too many sellers think things will sell themselves and they don't have to make any effort.  No effort = no sales.  

Just look at the OP - it took me all of 10 seconds to figure out what they're doing wrong.  No, I'm not going to tell them what it is but it's extremely simple.  If they can't be bothered reading ebay's basic instructions, and if they don't know the number 1 rule of online selling then they shouldn't be in the business in the first place.  There's more to it than that but I'm not going to give all my secrets away, same as all the other successful sellers don't.  

If a person wants to sell they should look around and see what other successful sellers do and learn from them instead of just whinging about no sales.  This is not my main ID - it's far more successful than this one, and I don't post under it.

I just wish people would realise that not everyone is cut out for selling because they're just not competent.  I've been the victim of those incompetent sellers more times than I care to remember and between them and the scammers it's almost put me off buying on ebay altogether.  

I forget the stats for the number of small businesses that fail in their first year but it's extremely high (I think it could be something like 90%) and most sellers on ebay would be in those stats if they were trying to sell in the 'real' world.  I say real because a lot of them are living in fantasy land when it comes to ebay selling!

Message 21 of 21
Latest reply