sending items by road within australia

I want to send a vintage item that may be considered prohibited (on the signature part of a satchel) by road from NSW to VIC instead of by air.  I know there used to be by road stickers you could useand not sign a satchel

now googling I can't find much info. 

do I post without signature........but then there is the risk it will be sent back to me, or is there a by road option nowadays?  anyone in the know?  thanks

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

i'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about and can send your item by air. the "dangerous goods" declaration refers mainly to chemicals, poisons, drugs, flammables etc. i've attached a copy of the 9 classes of dangerous goods and can't see any that the item you described would fall under.

if you want to look into it more yourself without asking at the PO - you can read article 6.1 of the post guide - https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/domestic-parcels-guide-jan15.pdf

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There should be a road only option.   Ask at the PO for the stickers to put on your parcel.

If you use the satchels and do not sign the Declaration they will usually go by road but there is always the chance that the lack of signature will go unnoticed and the item will go by air.

What is the item?  If it is vital that it does not go by air I don't think I would take a chance on an unsigned satchel.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

A vintage razor and sharpening stone
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I can see no reason that those items could not go by air.

Just make sure that the razor is well packed so there is no chance of anyone being cut.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

As a parcel it would go in the hold anyway, so carry-on restrictions shouldn't apply. The operative word being 'shouldn't'.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

i'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about and can send your item by air. the "dangerous goods" declaration refers mainly to chemicals, poisons, drugs, flammables etc. i've attached a copy of the 9 classes of dangerous goods and can't see any that the item you described would fall under.

if you want to look into it more yourself without asking at the PO - you can read article 6.1 of the post guide - https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/domestic-parcels-guide-jan15.pdf

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

thanks all.  I appreciate your help

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Unless being sent by Express Post all mail/parcels are transported by road.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Some destinations require air transport even when sent via regular post (eg Bribie Island). My post office manager adds a sticker to my regular parcel, that I'm required to sign, stating there are no dangerous goods.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Pretty sure they don't fly mail to bribie island. It's 20 minutes by road.

Knives swords etc are not considered dangerous goods for the purposes of posting so a vintage razor isn't an issue.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply