sexually explicit items E Bay Australia

site120
Community Member

Can anyone out there shed a little light on an issue I have had running with E Bay Australia for a while now, Adult Only material is forbidden on E Bay Australia, here is a quick run down on their guidelines regarding Adult Only item:

Anything designed for use in sexual or adult activities may not be listed on eBay. At our discretion we may remove items including, but not limited to:

• Adult-orientated domain names

• Anatomically-accurate sex dolls

• Any item which, because of their nature or because of the item description, appear to be designed for use in sexual/adult activity

• Netsuke (miniature Japanese sculpture) that contains nudity or explicit sexual content may not be listed

• Nude playing cards or trading cards

• Sex toys

Now this is the policy on these items, why are there literally thousands of adult only listings on E Bay Australia from Australian sellers, besides the obvious(money), how does E Bay keep getting away with continually listing items and hosting online stores filled with adult items if it's in breach of their own policies???, complaining to E Bay does absolutely nothing, the ACCC won't touch it, can anyone point me in the right direction on this matter and which organisation I can make a complaint to, it's the fact that kids under the age of 18yrs have full access to E Bay and there is an abudance of very explicit material on E Bay Australia, there are also no warnings of adult material present on E Bay Australia on their home page or splash screens...thank you

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: sexually explicit items E Bay Australia

I did the same thing cats...two gone quickly. Three still up.

to the eye, all should have gone under eBay policy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 21 of 68
Latest reply

Thank you for your posts and help, I have reported dozens of these E Bay Australia stores which are filled with Adult Only material over the last 6 months and to this date E Bay has done nothing to restrict what these E Bay stores are selling, in fact one of these stores just recently has included XXX rated dvd's in there items for sale, within the last week another E bay store has been posting pics in their listings of full frontal nude women showing breasts and genitalia, I thing this is totally wrong and certainly in breach of E Bay policies, the last correspondence I got from E Bay support was " I need to show some patience", E Bay needs to adhere to their policies and be allot more diligent with listings and I can tell you I am out of patience with E Bay and the appalling way they conduct business with sellers and buyers alike.......

Message 22 of 68
Latest reply

I gotta ask - what search terms have you been using to find that stuff?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 23 of 68
Latest reply

Search TOYS ... 

Refining by Health & Beauty may get you to offending ILLEGAL listings in record speed

Message 24 of 68
Latest reply

Just surf eBay for 5-10mins, that easy, as my wife found out by originally typing in a key word "fleshlight" as this is the colour lipstick she wears/buys and that will bombard you with pages upon pages of items that will make your toe nails curl, and it starts from there, it's ridiculous whats on eBay Australia regarding adult material...I have just typed in "fleshlight" and this poped up on my screen, this item and full frontal nude picture is there, on eBay Australia for all to see, I have added it in an attachment to this tag, if you can see it I do hope it does not offend anyone..

Message 25 of 68
Latest reply

@site120 wrote:

Thank you for your posts and help, I have reported dozens of these E Bay Australia stores which are filled with Adult Only material over the last 6 months and to this date E Bay has done nothing to restrict what these E Bay stores are selling, in fact one of these stores just recently has included XXX rated dvd's in there items for sale, within the last week another E bay store has been posting pics in their listings of full frontal nude women showing breasts and genitalia, I thing this is totally wrong and certainly in breach of E Bay policies, the last correspondence I got from E Bay support was " I need to show some patience", E Bay needs to adhere to their policies and be allot more diligent with listings and I can tell you I am out of patience with E Bay and the appalling way they conduct business with sellers and buyers alike.......

Bugger their policies, it is against the law Cat Frustrated

The double standards of this company never fail to leave me with a bad taste in my mouth

The pressure placed on sellers re buyer experience are at the highest level they have ever been, how does eBay inaction by leaving these items showing in Oz improve an unsuspecting buyers experience ? 

Having butt-plugs and such pop up in their searches  ain't the kinda experience that many of those searching toys or health and beauty products want nor expect

Message 26 of 68
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

@site120 wrote:

Bugger their policies, it is against the law Cat Frustrated

The double standards of this company never fail to leave me with a bad taste in my mouth

The pressure placed on sellers re buyer experience are at the highest level they have ever been, how does eBay inaction by leaving these items showing in Oz improve an unsuspecting buyers experience ? 

Having butt-plugs and such pop up in their searches  ain't the kinda experience that many of those searching toys or health and beauty products want nor expect

I understand that the thread is about eBay policy, however in the post above it was you that quite emphatically stated, and I quote

"Bugger their policies, it is against the law"

so, perhaps you are not aware of the content of your own posts? But it was definitely your good self that "touched on the subject of illegality" and introduced this aspect into the discussion.

So, again, based on the information supplied, I am merely curious as to what you were referring to when you stated "it's against the law"

Yes, I am aware of the information pertaining to R rated images.

Kind Regards

also: *must learn to quote posts when responding to them, as they have a habit of being changed and/or ammended by their author*

Message 27 of 68
Latest reply

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

If the items fall under health and beauty, then they are ok. There is a special list from some recognized body floating around that allows some items top be classified under health and beauty.

forget what it is though, but if you can't find it (been posted a few times) someone else will know where it is

I think it is all made harder due to incorrect information outlined in posts such as above ^^^^^^

But, it is good that we have cleared up that there is a legislated framework that eBay should have in place  Smiley Happy

I apologise if you think I am trying to start an argument.  I have no desire to do that at all.  I wish to post on the OP, that is all...

Message 28 of 68
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

@site120 wrote:

Can anyone out there shed a little light on an issue I have had running with E Bay Australia for a while now, Adult Only material is forbidden on E Bay Australia, here is a quick run down on their guidelines regarding Adult Only item:

Anything designed for use in sexual or adult activities may not be listed on eBay. At our discretion we may remove items including, but not limited to:

• Adult-orientated domain names

• Anatomically-accurate sex dolls

• Any item which, because of their nature or because of the item description, appear to be designed for use in sexual/adult activity

• Netsuke (miniature Japanese sculpture) that contains nudity or explicit sexual content may not be listed

• Nude playing cards or trading cards

• Sex toys

Now this is the policy on these items, why are there literally thousands of adult only listings on E Bay Australia from Australian sellers, besides the obvious(money), how does E Bay keep getting away with continually listing items and hosting online stores filled with adult items if it's in breach of their own policies???, complaining to E Bay does absolutely nothing, the ACCC won't touch it, can anyone point me in the right direction on this matter and which organisation I can make a complaint to, it's the fact that kids under the age of 18yrs have full access to E Bay and there is an abudance of very explicit material on E Bay Australia, there are also no warnings of adult material present on E Bay Australia on their home page or splash screens...thank you

The regulator of this area is the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).
Link to report offensive content is http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Take-action/Complaints/Internet-content-complaints/online-content-com...

No, it's not.

Australian Communications and Media Authority

ACMA Hotline FAQ

ACMA.PNG

Message 29 of 68
Latest reply

I think the issues here are what people think are or should be classified as R rated, as opposed to what is classified as R rated. I think people are confusing law and policy. I also think that people are confused as to what specific regulatory bodies actually do ummm regulate..... In reference to the guidelines for therapeutic goods - these are some of the documents and advisory resources which eBay refer to in the creation of and application of their policies pertaining to these matters. anyways

Message 30 of 68
Latest reply