the buyer rejected return items but ebay refunded the buyer. where can i get help?

I have been selling these racks over ebay more than 10 years. Recently had a cutomer who bought and picked up my items. The buyer said the item is not as described and rejected to return item. When i ask to organize to pick up my item by ourselves, the buyer lied and said they moved to very far and disposed my items. Guess what ebay did for this case. They just refunded this buyer in full. such unfair!! Is there anyone can help to me out? If i am happy to pay the layer just for a justice and fairness.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

the buyer rejected return items but ebay refunded the buyer. where can i get help?

@gtdeals-australia wrote:
I have been selling these racks over ebay more than 10 years. Recently had a cutomer who bought and picked up my items. The buyer said the item is not as described and rejected to return item. When i ask to organize to pick up my item by ourselves, the buyer lied and said they moved to very far and disposed my items. Guess what ebay did for this case. They just refunded this buyer in full. such unfair!! Is there anyone can help to me out? If i am happy to pay the layer just for a justice and fairness.

Your best bet in this case is to talk to someone from eBay on the phone (use the call back option, you'll still be on hold for a bit, but at least you don't pay for the call, and for whatever reason it seems like the assistance is usually better).

Make sure to have a clear timeline of events, and the questions you want to ask, sorted out first. 

The main points you will want to get across is that A) the buyer inspected and picked up the item. B) The buyer then claimed they were not as described. C) the buyer refused to return the items or allow collection of the items. This should have meant they were ineligible for a refund under the money back guarantee policy. 

How many you've sold without any problems won't matter to eBay, nor will they be all that interested in any suspicions you might have about the buyer's behaviour, so you will need to just stick to facts that support your case (you can definitely highlight the fact that you tried to make return of the item as easy as possible for the buyer, all at your own expense since that is what is required when an item is allegedly not as described, but the buyer rejected all of these attempts - eBay tend to look more favourably on the seller if they can show they did everything by the book and tried to solve the problem for the buyer despite them being difficult (or impossible) to deal with). 

It's not always pleasant, but I think if you can speak to someone directly and explain these points, requesting an appeal of the decision, you've got a decent shot at a better outcome. 

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

For some reason, I did not think a buyer could claim NAD, if they picked it up

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

They can't claim INR, but the only provision for not being able to claim INAD is if it was damaged during pick up - it's kinda dumb, really - any buyer vindictive enough to claim INAD on an item they (effectively) damaged during pick up is unlikely to admit to it, but they're odd provisions in the grand scheme of things.

If you pay for an item up front and then go to pick it up, for example, and discover it's NAD, you need the seller to refund there and then, pretty much, because if you leave it without getting a refund, you can't claim INR. If the seller refuses to refund, you have to take it and claim INAD, but what seller isn't going to say "they inspected it and accepted the condition at the time of pick-up" ? o_O The only situation where I can think of these two provisions being conducive to one another at all is picking up brand new, sealed items you can only check  / test after pick-up. 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Precisely why I onLy accept cash on pick up items.  

You can can appeal the decision, make sure you copy all the buyer’s responses regarding refusing to return, the fact that they moved so far away (Ebay should be able to verify this by checking their account to see if they have indeed moved and updated their address details).  

The fact that the buyer “destroyed and disposed” of the item is not grounds for a refund unless the item was counterfeit, but this only applies if they had to post the item back, as counterfeit items cannot be posted.

You could also ring Paypal and advise them this buyer has possibly committed fraud and whilst you’re not asking for their address details, ask Paypal to check if they have changed address.

come back to the boards and let us know how you go.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

As long as the buyer used an “approved” payment method, in this case I would imagine Paypal, they can lodge a claim.  In the past there was no protection on pick up items but this was changed a couple of years ago.

What's covered

Most transactions on eBay.com.au are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Covered

Purchases are covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee when:

• An item isn't received or it isn't significantly as described in the listing
  • The buyer reports that they didn't receive an item or requests a return within the Money back Guarantee guidelines
  • The buyer made the purchase on eBay.com.au via checkout or an eBay invoice with one (or more) of the following payment methods:
    • PayPal transactions made from a verified PayPal account
    • Credit/debit card transactions processed through PayPal
    • An eBay gift card or eBay voucher
  • Items are collected in person, as long as they meet all other requirements above
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

You won't get your money back. Sorry to say but a waste of time ringing them. I currently have a scammer in action, and their standard response now when challenged or asked specific questions about their policies is "It depends"....."It depends"....."It depends". The only thing it depends on is us being stupid enough to sell here. They will always rule in favour of the buyer. My buyer had a feeback of 1 from over a year ago. I should have known better, should have cancelled but didn't want to end up with another red dot. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Posting youtube videos seems to help some sellers. Ebay don't seem to like the bad press, but otherwise forget it, move on, save yourself the stress. Again, I'm so sorry this happened to you. They really need to start looking after their sellers

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

furthermore i don't even bother buying here anymore as i can get cheaper items elsewhere - in fact i don't know anyone who uses ebay anymore to buy

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@bimberiretrosystems wrote:

furthermore i don't even bother buying here anymore as i can get cheaper items elsewhere - in fact i don't know anyone who uses ebay anymore to buy

Apparently, eBay is the 5th most popular website in Australia (behind sites like Facebook and YouTube), and more items are sold on eBay AU than the next top 10 retail websites combined (or so I've been told).

I hope the OP has not been discouraged by the replies, there are enough instances of sellers at least being able to get eBay to admit fault and reimburse them to make contacting them worth a try. 

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

What I can't figure out is if you don't like and dont use ebay, why are you here?

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply