the ebay number in address just hit me why it there...

Everyone MAY want to made sure it in their tracked pacels adress and letters etc..    Has hit me why the ebay number is in the address and very clever way to do it by ebay.   

Basically the tracking number is going to be transfer to ebay.   For ebay change in tracking and them paying OUT on lost items so sellers do NOT have to do this side no more and face the risk of being out of pocket.   

The ebay number is so ebay can link back to the tracking number to take ownership to recoup their costs.    THAT ebay number will be very important soon to be put in the address..

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I flagged that last week. Hardly news.

Or a reason to change my practices.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I can't see why they need 2 tracking numbers to do any of that. They could just track via the tracking number provided by Aust Post. Seems to be just adding work for no reason. It gets deleted off most of my parcels anyway because I use the auto-complete tool in MyPost Business which ditches the ebay string. For my letter mail I just have my address label printing program ignore that field.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

For that to happen Australia Post would also need to be recording that number and passing it back to Ebay,  I can assure you the Autralia Post system isnt that sophisticated.

@silver-fox-bullion wrote:

Everyone MAY want to made sure it in their tracked pacels adress and letters etc..    Has hit me why the ebay number is in the address and very clever way to do it by ebay.   

Basically the tracking number is going to be transfer to ebay.   For ebay change in tracking and them paying OUT on lost items so sellers do NOT have to do this side no more and face the risk of being out of pocket.   

The ebay number is so ebay can link back to the tracking number to take ownership to recoup their costs.    THAT ebay number will be very important soon to be put in the address..

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

For that to happen Australia Post would also need to be recording that number and passing it back to Ebay,  I can assure you the Autralia Post system isnt that sophisticated.

All that eBay would need would be a copy of the address showing it was sent sans code. I have no doubt that eBay would prioritise the resources to make that happen if it was going to improve their bottom line.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

This Ebay number in the address field causes me all sorts of grief.

I do not use the Ebay / Australia Post thing because a lot of my items are oversized  / overweight for normal posting.

What really annoys me however is that they continually change the position of the text within the delivery address fields.  When I say continuosly, I mean from 1 order to the next I.E. 1 order the delivery address is

Joe Bloggs, #2 I am a real address. , suburb State Postcode to the next order

Joe Bloggs, # Ebay:ajxcbnol, , suburb State Postcode to the next order

Joe Bloggs, #2 I am a real address. , suburb State Postcode.....

Because I cannot use the Ebay / Australia Post / Sendle, I tend to copy and paste the delivery information onto a spreadsheet / pseudo database and now I need to go over every line of the address to ensure it is correct.

PS Dear Ebay, Kudos for trying to sort out the Postcode / Suburb scenario as my couriers are sometimes not clever enough to sort this out.

Can you go one step further and eliminate suburbes @ the end of street addresses eg #2 XYZ Street, Port Melbourne, > Then Melbourne, VIC

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

All that eBay would need would be a copy of the address showing it was sent sans code. I have no doubt that eBay would prioritise the resources to make that happen if it was going to improve their bottom line.

Lets explain this for you why the ebay code there....     WITHOUT it ebay can NOT legally chase the package to recoup their costs with the NEW trail of paying out LOST packages as they are not the sender or reciever to the package.     WHAT that code in the address does is gives them the power to act as they become of the reciever by their code.   that why it there.   Without that there ebay CAN not act on the package as they are not a listed party.   It the same as it a letter does not have your name on it you are not meant to open it.   

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@oz-e-seller wrote:

I can't see why they need 2 tracking numbers to do any of that. They could just track via the tracking number provided by Aust Post. Seems to be just adding work for no reason. It gets deleted off most of my parcels anyway because I use the auto-complete tool in MyPost Business which ditches the ebay string. For my letter mail I just have my address label printing program ignore that field.

It not a tracking it to gave them the power to act to recoup their lost by paying out on lost items.   EBAY are now going to payout to buyer for lost items and seller is going to keep payments etc.   The ebay code is to gave them a way in to push whoever weather it AP or a courier etc as that code as they have became a party to the package.   Without it only the buyer and seller are parties to the item...    

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

The code is there for their "discounted" postage rates or something. They sent an email about it at one point.

I very much doubt it's used for anything else at this point, given that it's currently in the "Address Line 2" field and if your buyer happens to have a two line address, it isn't put on there at all.

I printed five labels on Monday, didn't alter any of them - two had the code before the street address, one had the code after it, and two didn't have it at all (and those two were two line addresses)

So long as you send to the address specified, you are covered. If a buyer opens INR and it shows as delivered, you're covered, and if it doesn't show as delivered, then you can refund your buyer and claim through AP.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

This is incorrect - the number provides tracking events to eBay, even when the tracking info has not been uploaded to the transaction. 

There are a lot of high volume sellers who use other systems to create their postage labels, and don't upload individual tracking numbers to ebay, however the tracking automatically gets uploaded if the eBay code is left in place. 

The new policies surrounding protection for sellers if tracking has been uploaded is both conditional and - for now - temporary (one of the conditions is that sellers have to "reliably upload tracking" whatever that means, and at the moment it is going to last until "at least January 2021"), and is a direct response to current postal conditions and projected postal conditions during peak season. The codes have been in place since before covid and all the respective postal issues. 

In order for ebay to be able to access compensation for lost or delayed packages that they refund, they would need to be the ones who have a contract with Aus Post for an indiviual package - that would not be the case for any of the parcels (whether eBay labels were used or not). 

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply