the ebay number in address just hit me why it there...

Everyone MAY want to made sure it in their tracked pacels adress and letters etc..    Has hit me why the ebay number is in the address and very clever way to do it by ebay.   

Basically the tracking number is going to be transfer to ebay.   For ebay change in tracking and them paying OUT on lost items so sellers do NOT have to do this side no more and face the risk of being out of pocket.   

The ebay number is so ebay can link back to the tracking number to take ownership to recoup their costs.    THAT ebay number will be very important soon to be put in the address..

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@digital*ghost wrote:

This is incorrect - the number provides tracking events to eBay, even when the tracking info has not been uploaded to the transaction. 

There are a lot of high volume sellers who use other systems to create their postage labels, and don't upload individual tracking numbers to ebay, however the tracking automatically gets uploaded if the eBay code is left in place. 

The new policies surrounding protection for sellers if tracking has been uploaded is both conditional and - for now - temporary (one of the conditions is that sellers have to "reliably upload tracking" whatever that means, and at the moment it is going to last until "at least January 2021"), and is a direct response to current postal conditions and projected postal conditions during peak season. The codes have been in place since before covid and all the respective postal issues. 

In order for ebay to be able to access compensation for lost or delayed packages that they refund, they would need to be the ones who have a contract with Aus Post for an indiviual package - that would not be the case for any of the parcels (whether eBay labels were used or not). 

Then it's woefully inconsistent and needs its own field on their own labels, because as I said - if the buyer has a two line address, my experience is that it's not put on there.

At least, it wasn't on Monday, but things can turn on a dime around here, so

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

TBH I'm just going by what sellers elsewhere have said, as I use My Post for parcels and have never included the code, plus upload tracking manually - a few weeks after the codes were introduced, there were sellers in the FB group I'm in saying how much better it was for them now that they don't have to manually upload tracking, but I don't know how consistent it is - there's also been sellers who no longer include the code due to delivery issues that occurred with it on the postage label, but sending tracking to eBay was its primary purpose of it AFAIK.

In any case, for the code to be related to the new policies re: seller protection, I'd assume one of the conditions of eligibility would be that the code is included on the package label, but that is not one of the requirements, so those two things are very unlikely to be linked. 

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@peeknservices wrote:

I tend to copy and paste the delivery information onto a spreadsheet / pseudo database and now I need to go over every line of the address to ensure it is correct.

Highlight address columns, edit menu / find&replace. Tick 'regular expressions' option and replace Ebay:[:alnum:][:alnum:][:alnum:][:alnum:][:alnum:][:alnum:][:alnum:] with nothing. Replace all.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

TBH I'm just going by what sellers elsewhere have said, as I use My Post for parcels and have never included the code, plus upload tracking manually - a few weeks after the codes were introduced, there were sellers in the FB group I'm in saying how much better it was for them now that they don't have to manually upload tracking, but I don't know how consistent it is - there's also been sellers who no longer include the code due to delivery issues that occurred with it on the postage label, but sending tracking to eBay was its primary purpose of it AFAIK.

In any case, for the code to be related to the new policies re: seller protection, I'd assume one of the conditions of eligibility would be that the code is included on the package label, but that is not one of the requirements, so those two things are very unlikely to be linked. 

Yes, I went and spoke to CS about this this afternoon because I wanted clarification.

The take away is that it's on there, don't delete, but if it isn't on there, it doesn't matter. CS said that because it's in the Address field (as I said), if the buyer has an extra long address, it won't show up at all.

And as Digi said, the purpose of it is to assist eBay and sellers with automatically uploading their tracking to eBay. CS quoted this link for anyone who needs more info: https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/SU20-1/Postage-Tracking-Updates#:~:text=eBay%20Virtual%20Tracking%2... 

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply