the roll out of ebay managed payments

i'm sure a lot or most of you probably received the managed payments email this morning. in case you didn't, or missed here - ebay is rolling out managed payments later in the year with pre-registration opening shortly.

more info is located at https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

Message 1 of 699
Latest reply
698 REPLIES 698

Re: the roll out of ebay managed payments

That particular fee has not been introduced in Australia (yet), but with the way it works, it wouldn't matter if your listings were in one store or five, because it applies a transaction fee per unique item purchase rather than per order. 

It wouldn't be impossible for them to walk the quantity of free listings back to a lower number, they can make changes to these kinds of policies any time, but they have been focussing significantly on most fees and charges coming post-sale rather than for anything else, which would be more attractive than ever with managed payments since they can then deduct funds automatically from payments rather than have members accrue bills and pay periodically, so I suspect generous free listing quotas are likely to stay, (but I wouldn't bet a large sum of money on it Smiley LOL ). 

Message 451 of 699
Latest reply

I know there are other benefits to a store but it would be cheaper not to have a store (due to store sub. costs) unless you are making over a certain amount. On featured which costs 60.45, (if your monthly profits were $300) your FVFs would be about $40 compared to around $32 without.. so a saving of $8 in FVFs and you're spending $52 for a storefront, seller hub, links to your store in your listings and other features you may be okay without. You have to have atleast $2200 in sales per month to come close to breaking even with a store. But if they drop the amount of free insertion fee listings from 250,000, a store again may become the cheaper option. Stores are good ideas for Coles, Bing and these huge stores in my opinion but will smaller sellers bother even getting a store with 250,000 free listings if there isn't other benefits? that's why i think ebay will lower the 250,000 number to entice more people to get stores again. Ebay US have a completely different structure (although still somewhat comparable). Did US site also offer 250,000 free listings without insertion fees? Since coronavirus and to entice new buyers they are increasing from 1000 for a premium store to 10000. 

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/insertion-fees-update.html#m22_tb_a1__6

Message 452 of 699
Latest reply

I sell second hand item up to 40 free listing per months. I am not registred for business so do not pay any tax. I am just  cusual seller. Not bsiness.

I still has not registed for managed paymnet. Is that really necessary???

Thanks

Message 453 of 699
Latest reply

Eventually all sellers will do managed payments by 2021 somtime ebay says. However only the bigger stores are trialling managed payments right now. 

Message 454 of 699
Latest reply

@cameraotaku wrote:

I sell second hand item up to 40 free listing per months. I am not registred for business so do not pay any tax. I am just  cusual seller. Not bsiness.

I still has not registed for managed paymnet. Is that really necessary???

Thanks

Looking at the turnover and prices of your items I suggest you have a word with an accountant before the ATO catches up with you.

Just because you are not registered as a business does not mean you are not liable for tax on your sales....it may not be a lot, but I would say there would be some tax to be paid.

Message 455 of 699
Latest reply

Well, closed my shop.

Sad, but managed payments are mismanaged.

It takes 2 to  3 days for ebay to 'release' MY money. then they send me a cheery message saying it will take another 3 to 5 days for my bank to pay me, making it look like it is all the banks fault I have to wait so long.

I will be bundling up stuff for a while and just using the free 40 a month, to be honest my sales had just about disappeared so I don't think buyers are too happy either.

I have been sending within the same time frame even though I haven't as yet been paid, can't afford to do that for much longer, will be looking into selling somewhere else.

Not a good system, bad, bad, maggoty system.

Didn't like the sound of it to begin with and gave it a go but it is deplorable.

I won't be opening a shop again until we can choose NOT to have our payments managed.

Apparently the American ebay sellers have been tortured by this maggoty system for a year or so now, they may be happy to bend over and take it but I'm not.

Sorry to whinge, just needed to vent.

Jenny

Message 456 of 699
Latest reply

I have 3 non store selling accounts. None have had any mention or correspondance regarding mismanaged payments.  I know my time will come, but for now I'm still free. 

Can you create a new account, without a store, and get some time without the managed payments, before we're all forced into it? Might help you offload some stock. I could understand you being reluctant if you had thousands of feedback, but you don't (no disrespect intended).

Buy a few $1 with free postage items from high volume Chinese sellers to get a few feedback, and start listing. The high volume Chinese sellers generally auto leave feedback upon payment. It doesn't matter if the items don't turn up, you're just after the feedback numbers. If you can get 10 feedback, which will give you a star, it looks much better to buyers.

I am dreading the day my hand is forced. I would like to say I'll stop selling, but I have way too much stock.

Message 457 of 699
Latest reply

I am pretty sure ebay was planning to have everyone on their maggoty system by the end of this year so starting a new store this late wouldn't make much difference.

Knowing my luck they would have new accounts lined up to accept the system straight up anyway.

I am mainly selling off books I have bought over the years to read, bit of a hoarder, so if I can't sell not that big a drama.

My biggest challenge will be biting the bullet and sending them off to the Op shops :0)

Still I will search around other sales platforms to see if they are worth the effort before I do that.

Jenny

Message 458 of 699
Latest reply

Hi,
Does anyone have the same issue?
Since the new managed Payment system has been activated for our account on 7th August we haven't received a single payout from eBay. Currently, they owe us more than $25,000 and they are still resolving the issue.
There is no indication when and how it will be resolved.
I chat and talk with their agents every single day but there is no progress on resolving the issue.
Any suggestions on what to do with this?

Message 459 of 699
Latest reply

Report to the banking ombudsman (Australian Financial Complaints) as soon as possible.

The ebay payments processor is registered in the system and is answerable to the Australian banking system.

Message 460 of 699
Latest reply