the roll out of ebay managed payments

i'm sure a lot or most of you probably received the managed payments email this morning. in case you didn't, or missed here - ebay is rolling out managed payments later in the year with pre-registration opening shortly.

more info is located at https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

Message 1 of 699
Latest reply
698 REPLIES 698

Re: the roll out of ebay managed payments

PayPal's policy is to not refund any fees when the seller refunds - there are some accounts that don't seem to be affected by this policy, but it's an anomaly, not the norm. eBay won't refund for partial refunds, but they will for full refunds - that, at least, is an improvement from a purely financial perspective (and I'm not suggesting this is enough to convince anyone eBay's system is better).

eBay request ID on behalf of Adyen, who is doing the payment processing for managed payments - it's part of the anti-money laundering laws, and any company that handles financial transaction will require ID of some form or another so that they can be compliant with current laws - I feel eBay / Adyen's requirements could be more flexible and appropriate for Australian ID types, so even though it's necessary, they are making it a bit harder than they need to and I will definitely criticise that. 

I am much less impressed with eBay's "seller protection" policies than I am with PayPal's - eBay is too ambiguous with regards to the wording of their policies for my liking, their dispute fee (for claims outside of eBay's MBG system, eg a credit card chargeback) is higher, and is subject to GST (unlike PP's fees), but they do have a pretty decent system in place for managed payment sellers and pick-up items, allowing sellers to effectively be able to prove delivery / collection and qualify for seller protection against a dispute. 

I will always criticise eBay for their decision to only charge FVF on the lowest domestic postage rate in the US, but charge FVF on whatever the buyer pays everywhere else (i.e. if a US seller charges $5 for domestic post, and $50 for international and an OS buyer purchases it, they pay FVF on the $5 not the $50 the buyer actually pays - that's some BS right there, for every other site's sellers and buyers). 

The system has it's flaws, to be sure, some people will be able to work with it, some people won't want to, but it's not as bad as it often gets made out to be (and now I feel like I probably look like some lobotomised Simpson's character joining in a chorus of "join us, it's bliiiiiissss!" while holding a piece of my brain in a jar Smiley SurprisedSmiley LOL I just mean - managed payments is not wonderful, but it's not the end of the world, either). 

Message 551 of 699
Latest reply

I do agree it may be difficult for a hobby seller, the person that decides to clear out the shed, and chuck it on eBay, not even sure if that will be possible anymore, but then those sellers would no doubt do okay with GTree and MPlace.

Message 552 of 699
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

As  to the ATO, if your income on eBay exceeds a certain amount you are legally required to declare it. I think 10K, but not certain on that

Kat, for future reference, sellers are required to declare all income to the ATO from the very first $$.....but they can also claim all expenses as deductions.

The $10k is the current cutoff amount whereby ebay has to declare the seller's income to the ATO.....this amount can and does change.   The ATO announces the cutoff amount closer to the end of the financial year.

Message 553 of 699
Latest reply

As a buyer, there will now be no way to avoid the massively inflated currency conversion fee. At least with Paypal you could pay in the sellers currency. Many people went to the trouble of bypassing the Paypal currency converter which was about 3% above the bank rate. They made it harder and harder to find the option over the years. Now they've successfully taken it away completely.
the list goes on. there is nothing "reduced" or "cheaper" about it as far as their bottom line is concerned.
Message 554 of 699
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@katistrophik wrote:

As  to the ATO, if your income on eBay exceeds a certain amount you are legally required to declare it. I think 10K, but not certain on that

Kat, for future reference, sellers are required to declare all income to the ATO from the very first $$.....but they can also claim all expenses as deductions.

The $10k is the current cutoff amount whereby ebay has to declare the seller's income to the ATO.....this amount can and does change.   The ATO announces the cutoff amount closer to the end of the financial year.

The amount now is $12000 and people need to know is that the first $18900 I think is tax free and every $ after is taxed.

But yes all income has to be declared no matter where it's earned.

Message 555 of 699
Latest reply

@soup-a-man wrote:
As a buyer, there will now be no way to avoid the massively inflated currency conversion fee. At least with Paypal you could pay in the sellers currency. Many people went to the trouble of bypassing the Paypal currency converter which was about 3% above the bank rate. They made it harder and harder to find the option over the years. Now they've successfully taken it away completely.
the list goes on. there is nothing "reduced" or "cheaper" about it as far as their bottom line is concerned.

You can still use PayPal to pay for items from sellers on managed payments - there is almost no change for buyers at all with regards to payment options, and definitely no change to being able to pay with PayPal as per normal; though if someone prefers to pay via bank transfer, money order or cheque, then those options won't be available for them. 

Message 556 of 699
Latest reply

Don't know if there's much point d*g.

Soup appears to have made up their mind, without any evidence, or logic, so you introducing it is unlikely to change things.

Message 557 of 699
Latest reply

I highly doubt eBay will miss your 4 listed items, so you may be better of on one of the other sites. Trust me, eBay won't notice you're gone.

Message 558 of 699
Latest reply

Deleted all my listings today

Hi all, long time seller here with over 1200 pos feedback and over 100K in sales

I will not be forced into signing up for "managed Payments" or a ABN,  or any other BS for anyone

I figure Ive probably donated more than $10-15K to ebays bottom line and they are kicking me and all my good feeedback to the street and saying too bad

You can kiss my fees goodbye. It will be a pleasure not paying you another cent.

Message 559 of 699
Latest reply

There's an echo in here.

Message 560 of 699
Latest reply