tracked item missing

just got a 'item not recieved' thing, first time for me.

the item has tracking, posted on 31/1/19

last track scan showed facility in adelaide 5/2/19

nothing since then

whats the process for dealing with this.

thanks.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: tracked item missing

Sorry to hear it didn't work out better for you david.

Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Technically that means the package (and loss) is Australia Post's now, if my memory of their T&Cs is correct (I will double-check later, just to be sure). If so, that means in real terms it's inconsequential if the package arrives later, because the buyer would owe AP, not you (and if they choose to deliver rather than retain, that's also on them). 

Narrators voice: It was not. Smiley LOL

I think I got my wires crossed with PayPal's T&Cs whereby they state that in some cases, if they pay out a discretionary refund, the disputed goods become their property and they can require the goods to be returned to them, rather than the seller. 

Here's the relevant bit in Aus Post's T&Cs:

72 Notice of article subsequently found
72.1 Where Australia Post exercises its discretion in favour of the customer pursuant to
clause 70 and an article which had been presumed lost is subsequently found,
Australia Post may notify the claimant and the claimant may within 30 days of receipt
of such notice, obtain delivery of the article upon repayment of any cost incurred by
Australia Post or amount paid to the claimant under clause 70.

In other words, if they've paid compensation for a package but later find it, they should contact you and provide you with the option of re-paying the compensation amount to get the package back. The bit about "costs incurred" sounds like they've given themselves room to charge an amount for investigating, locating, and transporting the item back to wherever, as well. Smiley Frustrated

By the way, the discretionary compensation amount is supposed to be $50, plus the postage amount paid - last time they compensated me, they just sent an MO for $50, I didn't call them out at the time as I think the difference was about $5, but if they did the same to you, you could point out their own T&Cs. 

Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

The bit about "costs incurred" sounds like they've given themselves room to charge an amount for investigating, locating, and transporting the item back to wherever, as well. 

So they reserve the right to charge a customer for the costs they incur for stuffing up the delivery in the first place.

Who would do that? Duh... Australia Post.

Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

What about if one of their machines rips wide open your prepaid satchel and the buyer ends up still somehow receiving it but...it does not contain the item and only contains my business card.

How could a tiny business card survive this but the item (a pair of shorts) is mysteriously gone!?

Is some mail man wearing those PINK FLORAL SHORTS RIGHT NOW!? lol

Obviously I refunded the poor sad buyer right away.
Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

Technically that means the package (and loss) is Australia Post's now, if my memory of their T&Cs is correct (I will double-check later, just to be sure). If so, that means in real terms it's inconsequential if the package arrives later, because the buyer would owe AP, not you (and if they choose to deliver rather than retain, that's also on them). 

Narrators voice: It was not. Smiley LOL

I think I got my wires crossed with PayPal's T&Cs whereby they state that in some cases, if they pay out a discretionary refund, the disputed goods become their property and they can require the goods to be returned to them, rather than the seller. 

Here's the relevant bit in Aus Post's T&Cs:

72 Notice of article subsequently found
72.1 Where Australia Post exercises its discretion in favour of the customer pursuant to
clause 70 and an article which had been presumed lost is subsequently found,
Australia Post may notify the claimant and the claimant may within 30 days of receipt
of such notice, obtain delivery of the article upon repayment of any cost incurred by
Australia Post or amount paid to the claimant under clause 70.

In other words, if they've paid compensation for a package but later find it, they should contact you and provide you with the option of re-paying the compensation amount to get the package back. The bit about "costs incurred" sounds like they've given themselves room to charge an amount for investigating, locating, and transporting the item back to wherever, as well. Smiley Frustrated

By the way, the discretionary compensation amount is supposed to be $50, plus the postage amount paid - last time they compensated me, they just sent an MO for $50, I didn't call them out at the time as I think the difference was about $5, but if they did the same to you, you could point out their own T&Cs. 

i went with the deposit it back into my bank option, just in case the 'cheque is in the mail' happened

they lost my item should i really have faith their MO wouldnt get lost as well.

i returned the customers money via PP, do i need to inform ebay?

i sent the customer an email via ebay informing him of the refund.

Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

oh what a mess this is turning out to be!

so yesterday oz post tells me the items lost, heres a payment for our screwup.

i refund the buyer his money.

today i check the tracking and its suddenly 'delivered'

great, for the buyer.

but try to get a refund cancelled!

ebay tells me to contact PP

PP tells me they cant stop the refund.

Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

I'd contact the buyer, and advise you're sending an invoice for repayment (try to make it so that it is a given, rather than an optional request, though you could tell them as an alternative, they may also mark the package as return to sender, if it is unopened). 

If they don't respond or reply, you can then advise the matter will be handled legally, but to start with I'd expect the best (while preparing for the worst). 

Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

marked 'as delivered' may not mean that your customer has received it 😞
Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

the buyer has messaged me confirming he has the item and that he got a messge from Pay Pal saying the refund was cancelled, go figure that out when the girl said she couldnt cancel it.

and id prolly have to put in a claim.

not sure about what happens with the oz post refund now, havent had any mail from them yet.

Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

the buyer has messaged me confirming he has the item and that he got a messge from Pay Pal saying the refund was cancelled, go figure that out when the girl said she couldnt cancel it.

and id prolly have to put in a claim.

not sure about what happens with the oz post refund now, havent had any mail from them yet.

Double-check your PP account, just to make sure.

I've never been offered EFT when being paid compo by Aus Post, so I don't know how quickly they action it, but it seems to take a few days for the money orders to be processed - my previous reply was on the assumption AP would now deny the compo, but I guess it depends on what their internal systems are like - that is, how quickly each facet communicates and reacts to updates. 

If your refund was cancelled and Aus Post don't pay, no harm no foul, at the end of the day (I hope the case has been closed?). If they (AP) do pay, you may have to make arrangments to send it back.

If the refund wasn't cancelled then it's a bit of a different ball game - you might be in a position to still demand the compo because they didn't do what they said they would so in their T&Cs (offer to get it back to you). 

Message 20 of 28
Latest reply