tracked item missing

just got a 'item not recieved' thing, first time for me.

the item has tracking, posted on 31/1/19

last track scan showed facility in adelaide 5/2/19

nothing since then

whats the process for dealing with this.

thanks.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: tracked item missing

Don't hold your breath waiting for the PO payment David.....they can be very slow at times.  IF it eventually turns up you can worry about it then.

Check your paypal account to see what has happened there.  They are not noted for sending messages about transactions that have not happened.  If the money is still there then just ignore the whole thing.

You have a happy customer who has his goods so nothing more you need to do there.

Hopefully it is all sorted now.

I recently had a parcel go missing....posted with tracking on the 9th January with an estimated delivery of 14-15th January which I thought was rather a long time as I had had parcels from the same seller in 24-48 hours without tracking.  When it had not arrived by the 17th I rang AP and was given an enquiry number but told they would not even look for it until the 22nd when it was a week overdue.

It turned up on Monday 21st as though nothing had happened.

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

i admit i panicked a little (a lot)

i should have waited a day or 2 before refunding 'just in case' once id made contact with AP it turned up.

but i wanted to do the right thing.

as it had been 7 days since it was last scanned it seemed it had been 'lost in transit'

very odd really that the very next morning from my enquiry it arrives.

fingers crossed all is sorted, i will watch my account activity.

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

i'm not the type to try to gain out of this, i just want my buyer to have his item and me to have my payment.

its given me the runaround but thats life.

i have no issue returning AP money if it winds up in my account.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

If sent via AP, they have a simple way to report a missing item (go to track my parcel). Tracking will show the expected delivery. Once that deadline has passed, you can raise the "missing parcel enquiry". After two weeks you can then request compensation. HOWEVER, the max compensation is $50 per parcel UNLESS it has been insured. (I assume they refund the postage as well).
I've raised about six missing item complaints over several years. AP always finds them. Eventually. One was found in WA when I sent it from Melbourne to Sydney!
Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

Once the parcel is received by AP, DON'T take financial responsibility for them losing it. I keep an eye on my sendings and will raise "missing item enquiry" The SENDER needs to initiate this. Inform buyers that you cannot be held responsible for items lost in transit.
I recommend that you always offer the buyer optional add on insurance for items over $50 with the statement that AP will only refund $50 for non insured items.
If the buyer chooses not to ensure, so be it. It is not up to you to insure for free, or wear the AP risk for the customer. You CAN of course offer only "postage with insurance" and cover all eventualities.
Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

@goaussies1 wrote:
Inform buyers that you cannot be held responsible for items lost in transit.

If the buyer chooses not to ensure, so be it. It is not up to you to insure for free, or wear the AP risk for the customer. 

Of course you are responsible for items lost in transit - there would be no facility for the buyer to open an INR dispute otherwise.

It is the seller's responsibility to insure an item if the item is expensive enough to warrant it. Of course you can decide to ship only with insurance and have the buyer pay for that BUT it may mean that your items will end up a more expensive option compared to other sellers.

Many sellers here will "self-insure" their items by putting aside a couple of dollars on each sale to cover any items lost/damaged in the post.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

couple of things to mention.

1, you can tell a buyer if an items 'lost' in the post its not your responsibility.

but ebay has a 'money back garantee' they enforce, and when its invoked it comes out of the sellers money.

2, sellers are of course allowed to purchase 'insurance' for posted items, but that means either the item becomes more expensive to the buyer or the seller loses a few dollars covering it. meaning their price is not the 'best' price and the buyer may well buy elsewere. its a juggling act.

so far in many years of selling oz post havent lost anything, even this item was eventually delivered.

its just that after i did my bit, reporting it, organising refund, getting oz posts refund sorted. they found and delivered it in less than 24hrs!

this caused me my grief.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

I've claimed 2 missing parcels since August and both were found, but only 3 weeks or so after I had already been fully compensated by AP as they said they could not find them. Both then later appeared at my door as "returned to sender" (the address was correct and clear). Weird.
Message 28 of 28
Latest reply