unfair feedback on ebay has anyone taken legal action before

Last month I posted about a customer who brought a learning DVD from us called   the

LATHE WORK FOR THE BEGINNER I am a Fitter & Turner by trade and during my earlier years of the trade did an extension as a technician which allowed me to become a Toolmaker which I have worked in and still do for over 40 years , I along  another Tradesman  in his workshop we produced a VCR on how to Work a Lathe for the Beginner , my main market was the farmer and hobbyist who had little or no experience in using a Lathe ,  in recent years we had it converted to Digital so it could use in today’s modern world, (knowledge never changes in this field) it was produced in 1992 and sold many copies above 1000 in  all states of Australia and in the UK and USA , was  produced for a learning aid not a future movie , in this time we have had only praise from many people who it helped.

This chap who brought the item was happy to watch it , then placed a claim thru Ebay that he never liked it and was no use to  him, to save any hassles I refunded him and sent an email to keep it lets move on.

But today he decides to give us feedback

poor quality and very basic for the price

I take this very personal first of he gets item for nothing watches it then has the gumption to slander by produce , what I am asking any of you out there , I am really p f with this fellow , and are considering getting legal advice for slander

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Iremember many, many years ago, someone did sue for unfair feedback for damaging his reputation. Apparently though he was a lawyer so had all of the knowledge and avenues etc to do so. I have no idea what the outcome was though, sorry, but I do know that you are entitled to one advisory phone call to legal aid, if that helps.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

theres an old saying, you can please some of the people some of the time but you cant please all of the people all of the time.

you have found a drongo buyer, unfortunately feedback is no fool proof.

he is allowed to make his personal thoughts public if in his view the dvd was poor quality via feedback.

as you indicate you have sold in excess of 1000 copies anyone who bothers to look at your feedback will see hes a dill.

i doubt 1 bad review will ruin your reputation.

if you are a reader of these forums, the complete nob head buyers are not common but the do exist. just one of the wonderful world of ebay experiences we all loath.

my father was a fitter and turner by trade, my brother a mechanical instrument maker via fitting and turning trade. so i do know not much has changed in the last 30 - 50 years beyond more computer controlled machines.

hope you remain a good seller and ignore the jerks who like to act like know it alls.

maybe you can leave followup feedback, but prolly not worth the bother. make sure you block him from buying anything again.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Seeing as eBay has removed the comment I wouldn't spend any money on further action.

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Seeing as eBay has removed the comment I wouldn't spend any money on further action.

Totally agree and in future don't worry about this sort of "buyer",(just block them from buying and keep doing

what you have been doing).

Going by feedback you sell quality stuff at good prices and your 5 star ratings across the board proves that

you are doing all the right things,(which is what a potential buyer might/will look at)good.gif

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

If I sued everyone that had slandered me,I would be on my own island by now that I purchased with my slander money getting some rays from above lol.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

http://www.smh.com.au/national/negative-feedback-on-ebay-emerges-as-new-defamation-battleground-2014...

The above article mentions an Aussie case over eBay feedback (dismissed on a procedural point), as well as highlights other successfull (non-eBay) cases where online reputations were damaged.

Other cases involving eBay feedback have backfired, but from what I can gather they seem to be because the statements were true (which is obviously the best defense for defamation cases). 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply