what has happened with the low price of vintage china

Hi anyone experiencing the selling of vintage cups saucer plates ect it seems as though the bottom has dropped out of the market in the last 12 months? I had a break for 12 months not selling any now

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: what has happened with the low price of vintage china

Yes I understand that they are convienient and we cant stop progress
just have to grin and bear it I guess
Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Definite downturn in second hand goods purchases across all categories.  Has been bad for 2 years now.

I have three "bazaars' or collectables emporiums within 20km of me now where you can set up a stall for a week, a month, a year for low cost.  Items on the stalls are priced similar to ebay or LOWER.  

I am now selling to these stall holders (I don't want to run a stall, I like my home too much!) and some will buy bulk quantities of china and glassware from me - so think about that market for your goods.  

As for mobiles - I have had many comments that people using mobiles:

1. cannot see all my listings - they might see three when I might have 20-30 listings

2. can't see all of the description on my listings, miss important information (or won't scroll?)

3. do not see invoices/payment requests or even messages.

Mobile Ebay apps definitely need to improve the service for users.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

I don't have a mobile & will not have one. When I retired the then 1/2 house brick sized phone was chucked in a corner.

Every time I have a NPB it's invariably someone who bought on a mobile & was then never heard from again. I don't know if its the ebay app @ fault, or just that the listing isn't being read, or impulse buys late @ night that are forgotten in the light of day. Usually low F/B non buyers.

Has anyone in Melb metro had success with selling bulk lots of glass / china / pottery on PU runout on Ebay? Sadly no Bazaar type concerns in my area - though what a good idea that would be!  

There's a huge ex Spotlight then Savers store @ my local shops - been empty for 2 1/2 years now. I believe Savers got out as the rent was raised far too high. Now let's face it Savers only gave 20c in the dollar to charity - even though all goods were donated, they certainly knew how to charge!  My daughter is an accountant & knows the charitable tax laws-  So how high was the rental that they bailed on that site as unviable?  The store always seemed to have clientele.

If I had any capital I'd investigate the possibilities of an indoor market / bazaar on the site. I really like that idea!

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

food for thought we also have a vintage market down the road from us.
I like to look at large pics looking at them on a mobile is not the best way to get the full picture and descriptions are scant at best
Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

I live in the Blue Mountains and have recently purchased from local op shops & markets lots of beautiful old china including Wedgewood really cheap.  I asked people in the know up here WHY IS MAGNIFICENT CHINA LIKE THIS BEING SOLD SO CHEAP.  They told me it is out of fashion presently.  It will never be out of fashion with me and I am so very happy with some of the stunning china & glass collectibles I have purchased this year at ridiculously low prices.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

I know a couple of years ago I was getting outrageous prices for this beautiful china, I think there is so much on Ebay now kids selling off the families treasures and the vintage trend seems to have subsided. I have some beautiful art deco items from my mum but my kids do not want them sad to think it will not be passed on to the family. It is a throw away society now I do love modern but I mix it with vintage and antique so elegant. My husband says the vintage era will come back again I hope so
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

My 3 daughters (oldest just turned 30) are into 1970's retro. Items I'd not give you a "Thank You" for as I had to grow up with that sort of carp (the only child of a fashion designer father & business woman mother) The colours Burnt Orange; Harvest Gold & Mission Brown have a very nasty effect on my sensibilities! 

None of my girls want my glassware or porcelains - Hence the thought to bundle & sell them off before I pop off!

Middle girl has dibs on my Mats Jonasson crystal animal sculptures. Younger likes my Lladro animal figurines. They probably only want them because of their value (See how cynical I am becoming?)

The eldest is a throwaway kind of girl who travels a lot & moves house regularly; Dumping stuff (& sometimes herself) here between trips, marriages, & etc. Anyone want about 80 pairs of women's Sz 9 ish shoes? Most never worn! -  & who needs 6 pairs of green high heels - really!?  That's the sort of stuff I have to deal with from her! I don't think she's ever moved out without leaving at least 1/'2 her stuff behind for me to clean up &/or dispose of!

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Yes there is one in almost every family including mine
Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

Only One, You lucky thing !!!!!......Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply