what has happened with the low price of vintage china

Hi anyone experiencing the selling of vintage cups saucer plates ect it seems as though the bottom has dropped out of the market in the last 12 months? I had a break for 12 months not selling any now

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Only One, You lucky thing !!!!!......Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Unfortunately the downturn on eBay is not limited to vintage china. I sell china and all sorts of other vintage/retro homewares and my sales are now pathetic. I was once a thriving seller (over 14 years of selling) with increasing sales every year. However the past 3 years has seen a sharp decline in sales, with this year being the worst by far. Unless something changes I can't see it will be profitable enough to continue selling.

Based on other member's posts on these discussion boards (and other sellers I know in person), I am certainly not alone.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I have vintage china & glass on the QS website - selling slowly but steadily. 1 sale today even. I was thinking of doing a bulk pickup lot on my items on ebay; As I need to move home soon & have many boxlots to sell.

It's been a long time since I listed such items on ebay. I've felt the market just wasn't there. Auctions often go unseen into some ebay black hole. Add in the packaging needs for vintage breakables & ebay's fees on even the postcost & the incentive to list just disappears along with any profit! 

Trios I would think to be particularly hard to sell on ebay. Given the packaging needed for safe delivery of just 1 set.

My perception of buyers is that they may want the item, but don't really want to pay a proper price for post & packaging. I use recycled materials when I can to keep postcosts down; But there's no getting around ebay & PPal fees & the slug ebay takes from postage - along with the actual cost of postage that keeps rising! 

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

yes you are so right and I also have to contend with newbies buying and not paying and ebay takes so long to issue a upi it's crazy it is a week before I can relist
Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Hi All,

Sales declining is not limited to vintage china unfortunately.

Ebay policies/fees, Pay Pal fees and Australia Post outrageous prices are killing off the market.

For lower cost items particularly it has become not viable to sell anymore.

We need to all inundate Ebay, Pay Pal and Australia Post with complaints.

There is power in numbers!!

I know some will say it doesn't work, they don't listen, etc, etc, but they can not ignore "mass" numbers of complaints.

So PLEASE all do it.

If we sit back and say nothing our selling days will surely come to an end.

How unfair is it that:

A percentage of a sellers postage charge is deducted?

A percentage of a sellers payment is taken by Pay Pal just for receiving a payment from a buyer.

Australia Post pricing needs a total overall as well as their service delivery.

Time for us all to say enough is enough.

It is in Ebay, Pay Pal and Aust Post best interests to listen as without sellers, buyers, customers, etc their businesses decline also.

Start complaining now please.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Active content will be introduced in June I use animated templates ect this will impact on my listings. Ebay don't give a u know about small sellers only big companies, we started Ebay off if it wasn't for us they would be no where as big as they are now. I am going to try and sell my stock before this happens and give Ebay the boot. This (active content) is because it will interfere with the way mobiles view buying and selling. I loved Ebay now I am over it
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Given that a large proportion of buyers now use mobile devices to make their purchases, it makes sense to remove all that flashy garbage that people have in their listings. I hate all those scrolly things and will often just hit the back button when I see them. Mobile devices weren't around when eBay started, so they are keeping up with current demands.

I do some buying on the mobile and if a seller has flashy rubbish in their description I hit back fast because it takes so long to load and chews my data. I want to see plain, simple descriptions that tell me what I'm looking at. Not flashing pretty lights that chew up data if I'm not connected to the home network.

Removing active content is one of the few changes that I am in full support of eBay's decision. I don't think a buyer is going to buy your tea set over my tea set because you have scrolly things and flashy banners and I don't.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Each to their own I hate mobiles with a passion got one but I hate it (only because the kids want me to have one) never use it for Ebay
yeah I am an old fart hate being texted talk to us for crying our loud.
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@vintage2201 wrote:
Each to their own I hate mobiles with a passion got one but I hate it (only because the kids want me to have one) never use it for Ebay
yeah I am an old fart hate being texted talk to us for crying our loud.

Same here, wife says I have to carry one, but every time it rings, its just another job to do. Pick up the kids from sport, buy some milk, lads car has run out of fuel, sheep on the road,  etc. etc.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

I'm also not particularly fond of them, but a lot of people are and a lot of people use them to do their buying. I buy credit each month to access the internet. I couldn't tell you the last time I made a call (I don't have a landline phone). I received a call yesterday which was the first one in who knows how long. Just because us oldies aren't really fond of them, doesn't mean we shouldn't cater to the masses that have them glued to themselves at all times.

I do buy sometimes using the app because I work shift work and sometimes auctions are finishing while I'm at work, or I'll have a browse during a break and might buy something that catches my eye.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply