which postage options cover the seller should an Item not recieved claim be made via paypal?

I THOUGHT i knew that sellers were only covered if they used signed for or registered mail - i.e a service with proper tracking.

A few people recenlty have said that the regular post systen - which gives very broad tracking - records the postcode on the docket - and tracks from PO to Po only is acdceptable to payapl as proof of postage if a claim is made.

I don't think it is

Could sellers who genuninely know for SURE reply please?

It will effect the postage options I give on my lisitngs

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

which postage options cover the seller should an Item not recieved claim be made via paypal?

cq_tech
Community Member
In Australia, as long as you lodge your item across the counter at the PO and keep the standard receipt with the tracking number and customer's postcode on it, you are covered by Paypal for Seller Protection under their current Terms & Conditions.

Essentially, the only time you won't be covered is if you post your item in a street mailbox.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

If Paypal fail to abide by their Australian Terms & Conditions as published on their site with regards to Buyer and Seller Protection, a complaint to the Financial Ombudsmans Service will generally have the issue rectified virtually immediately.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply

Large letters do not have tracking (unles you ad signature on delivery and/or insurance).

Parcels do have an unique (more or less traceable) number. Now: I haven't had a PayPal dispute in a couple of years or so but just on the basis of observing discussion forums I believe that standard parcel is not enough for PayPal protection.Go into the buyers forums and research postings on PayPal disputes, you will find a number of specific examples where postage via standard Australia Post parcel was not sufficient to protect the seller.

Again: this is not necessarily consistent with what PayPal policy states and it is not based on my personal experiences. I think this is an important issue and perhaps we should create a new thread on specific personal examples.

I myself use a lot of large letters and (fingers crossed) did not have anything lost yet. I do give buyers choice to pay for extra protection. IMHO if you don't take it it's your choice and you should accept consequences. I assume that it would be a moot point in a PayPal dispute.

I have another ID under which I sell items of significantly higher value: I would never ever post something worth $500 as standard parcel. Majority of my items go via courier, whatever goes via Australia Post is SOD with extra paperwork and/or pictures showing full delivery address, not just postcode.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

My understanding has always been that a tracking number with postcode on receipt is NOT sufficient.

What I believe PayPal requires is 'proof of posting' which includes not only the tracking number but the recipient's postal address.

You can only get proof of lodgement or posting with Registered mail and the other option you mention - signed for.

I think it is the much for secure choice and doesn't cost an awful lot more.

I still don't offer this as the only postage option in my listings. I give buyers the choice about regular postage or Registered.

However I am leaning more and more towards only Registered postage to protect myself and the customer.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

see Post by lane-endsl   10 May 2014   quoting.....

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and_Buyer_Protecti...

If PayPal deems that you meet all necessary requirements for the PayPal Seller Protection Policy, PayPal will reimburse you for the full amount on an eligible payment and waive the Chargeback fee, if applicable.

Eligibility

1. You provide us with valid Proof of Shipment;
  2. The item is sent to the address we specify on the payment notification or "Transaction Details Page" which can be accessed by logging in to your PayPal account

Now here's the "proof of shipment"

The proof of shipment accepted by us as set out within the “proof of shipment” section within the “Manage customer concerns” page of our website.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/customer-concerns

You have to click for a pop-up on the page above, to get,

At the very least, your documentation must include:

• The date the item was sent; and
  • An official acceptance by the shipper, such as a postmark or online status. (Status that shows the item was delivered is also acceptable.)

It must also include either:

• The recipient’s delivery address, showing at least the state, city and postcode (or international equivalent); or
  • A receipt from Australia Post showing at least the recipient’s suburb, city or postcode (or international equivalent).

So all you need is a receipt with the customer's postcode, or a tracking number that shows delivery to the customer's postcode.

Note, this assumes the customer is in Australia and was logged into ebay.com.au when they purchased, different rules apply if they purchased via ebay.com..... unquote

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
In Australia, as long as you lodge your item across the counter at the PO and keep the standard receipt with the tracking number and customer's postcode on it, you are covered by Paypal for Seller Protection under their current Terms & Conditions.

Essentially, the only time you won't be covered is if you post your item in a street mailbox.
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Just one extra to add to curraones excellant advice. The recipients post code does not automatically appear on your reciept. AP staff have several options for processing the transaction. The button they press to have the post code details imprinted on the reciept must be "smaller or harder to push down" as they often prefer an easier option of just scanning the item in. ( in reality, they have to type the four numbers in- more work ) . So if you want proof of recipients postcode on your reciept, ask AP staff to enter the numbers manually into the computer when lodging your parcels.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Ok - thanks for that - yes - I encountered that little problem yesterday - re the PO not putting in the postcodes - went to a different PO - didnt' realse they didn't do it automatically - 7 items posted - 5 signed for - no postcodes on receipt - no idea which belonged where.

Sooo - I know I'm being really thick - but just to summarise what I think I have understood - I can get regular post and I'm covered by paypal - so long as I make sure the PO records the postcode on the receipt?
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Yes! 🙂
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

WOW - so why would anyone bother with registered or signed for then?? (domestic) business sellers seem to use it a lot
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I have seen a couple of threads in buyers section that I found really worrisome, for example this one here:

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Item-safe-dropped-tracking-shows-delivered-however-no-item/m-...

One issue is the cost of getting items posted. I assume that to get a "foolproof" PayPal protection one has to spend extra $2.95 on signature on delivery AND at least $1.50 on insurance (to obtain paperwork with specific delivery address, not just postcode). That is on top of the base postage cost.Don't forget to ad 10% to cover new fees. Try explaining that to a buyer purchasing a $5 item.

The other issue that I see is that PayPal seems to be incosistent in their decisions and, as thread above shows, prone to a decisive pressure by the buyer. Maybe PayPal has a pile of their own money for refunds in not-so-clear disputes but somehow I doubt it.

I would be very interested to hear what strategies people use to protect themselves and how did your PayPal dispute go?

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

If Paypal fail to abide by their Australian Terms & Conditions as published on their site with regards to Buyer and Seller Protection, a complaint to the Financial Ombudsmans Service will generally have the issue rectified virtually immediately.
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply