How to KILL the AU used book sales and cost Aust Post $

I have posted this on the PS forum but as many bookies dont seem to go there I will post here as well

--

I knew they would arrive on the AU eBay site eventuatly.

This company worldofbooks-australia they are part of the UK giant and they are bulk flooding the book section

They state that they are in Wahroonga, New South Wales but thats not correct from the emails I have received from them, they are shipping from the UK and eBay is allowing them to LIE about their stock location. What they have in Australia is a PO box only and all their contact details including phone numbers are all in the UK

Now most of us the used book sellers can compete on price all be it bare bones and near go out the door pricing BUT what costs us $11.20 (standard AP 3KG bag price) to post interstate they are shipping to Australia for $2.99 and AP are delivering it for FREE.

So how much will AP lose this year that they will pass onto us ($22 million last year) if there is any of us bookies left to sell and post on here that is.

So a question for AP, how do we in Australia compete with you delivering these items for FREE and compete with the super low UK postage prices compared to our prices.

Answer is .. we cant.

PS their address in Wahroonga that they claim they are shipping from, is actually to a PO box of a lawyers office

Message 1 of 82
Latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Item location misrepresentation, and we all know how seriously eBay take that for big dropshippers.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 2 of 82
Latest reply

It is interesting to see that they now have 3  feedback - each comment was left the DAY after the book was purchased - boy that was quick delivery from UK lol!!!

Message 3 of 82
Latest reply

Yeah right!!

My daughter purchased a book from a well-known dropshipper using my account.  The item was listed at being in Lane Cove.  It took almost two weeks to come from UK when it should have taken two days max. from LC!! X-(

~ Mon ~
Message 4 of 82
Latest reply

Hope you marked their postage time star down.

I found 11 listings for the same title last night. 3 different covers.

Who knows how many different books they actually are as they use stock photos and item specifics.

And, of course, the disclaimer about what they send not necessarily being what they list.

When I buy from them, even if I get the book I suspect they will be getting a neg. Never left one before, but I reckon if two stars (description and postage time) rate a 1 then then transaction overall will rate a neg.

Message 5 of 82
Latest reply

It is interesting to see that they now have 3  feedback - each comment was left the DAY after the book was purchased - boy that was quick delivery from UK lol!!!

I found that fasinating as well. Within one day of purchase the book has teleported to them from the UK.

They are lying saying the books are in Australia as all of their books are in the UK and being supplied from the UK.

eBay seem to turn a blind eye to this and allow it.

Message 6 of 82
Latest reply

Hope you marked their postage time star down. 

Yes, I sure did Pete. ]:)

~ Mon ~
Message 7 of 82
Latest reply

Two of those buyers seems to make a habit of leaving feedback straightaway, Craig. One leaves it as soon as they pay.

No idea what they do when problems arise.

eBay don't give a rats about big sellers dropshipping; think b***topia. Not a single one of their million and a half titles (at least the ones I've checked) is currently in stock, even though they have more than 10 of each located in Sydney.

Message 8 of 82
Latest reply

That bit in their philosophy about it being a travesty to throw away perfectly readable books is a joke.

Do they think that makes them unique? What do they think every other 2nd hand bookseller does? And I bet they shred more than the average seller too. If I can't sell books that aren't falling apart, I GIVE them back to an op shop.

Message 9 of 82
Latest reply

Usually the opp shops here don't want my rubbish.

If I can't sell it, they usually can't.

Either that or they already have 10 copies of Tom Clancy and Dan Brown and don't need anymore.

Message 10 of 82
Latest reply