How to KILL the AU used book sales and cost Aust Post $

I have posted this on the PS forum but as many bookies dont seem to go there I will post here as well

--

I knew they would arrive on the AU eBay site eventuatly.

This company worldofbooks-australia they are part of the UK giant and they are bulk flooding the book section

They state that they are in Wahroonga, New South Wales but thats not correct from the emails I have received from them, they are shipping from the UK and eBay is allowing them to LIE about their stock location. What they have in Australia is a PO box only and all their contact details including phone numbers are all in the UK

Now most of us the used book sellers can compete on price all be it bare bones and near go out the door pricing BUT what costs us $11.20 (standard AP 3KG bag price) to post interstate they are shipping to Australia for $2.99 and AP are delivering it for FREE.

So how much will AP lose this year that they will pass onto us ($22 million last year) if there is any of us bookies left to sell and post on here that is.

So a question for AP, how do we in Australia compete with you delivering these items for FREE and compete with the super low UK postage prices compared to our prices.

Answer is .. we cant.

PS their address in Wahroonga that they claim they are shipping from, is actually to a PO box of a lawyers office

Message 1 of 82
Latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

If they are using ebay.com.au & have a website that is a .com.au & have a registered office in Wahroonga and are selling over $75,000 per year, then they SHOULD be paying GST - I wonder if they are & I wonder if the ATO knows about them???!!!

Message 21 of 82
Latest reply

Tangles, we're actually having a conversation about this very thing, involving another large seller (think long rivers) over on The Hollow. They seem to only be factoring in a GST component when the book is dispatched from AU - if they get it drop-shipped from OS, they don't seem to think it's subject to GST.

I would think that any business registered in AU should be paying GST on every Australian sale, regardless of where the book comes from.

Message 22 of 82
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

"Unfortunately this means AP gets very little to deliver OS mail, and charge us more to make up the shortfall. It is not voluntary, though. They cannot charge extra to deliver OS mail."

No .. not acceptable that sounds like apologist carp .. the fact remains that Auspost is making massive profits while destroyiong other peoples businesses and we are meant to swallow this pill of believing it is outside of their control??!! .. jeez just the other day Newscorp reported that postal workers have the fastest wage growth in the country ..

As i said in an earlier post they are traitors!!!

Message 23 of 82
Latest reply

Look up Universal Postage Union

I don't like high postage costs either, but they are a fact of life, unless you can get the UPU to change it.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 24 of 82
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

Okay I went and read the UPU over at Wikipedia and it does not explain why we are being fleeced in Australia so I still don't get it .. but it does mention that it is run by the United Nations so that sets alarm bells off already .. as the stench from that crowd is overwhelming .. as far as I am concerned the exorbitant international postage rates in Australia is one giant rippoff and conjob operation undertaken by and for Australia Post to profit  themselves and nobody else .. by Australia Post lifting their international Postage rates so high it means that I don't bother selling overseas .. will Auspost need to recoup that loss by lifting rates even higher? .. and who should carry that burden? .. perhaps they could tack that cost onto users of express post will help them deliver all the 10 cent Chinese stuff .. and while we are on that topic it has been explained to me that the Chinese are not charged ebay listing fees or final value fees so I guess us dumb smuck Aussies will need to pay for that too  .. is that ratified in a UN agreement or did ebay decide to do that on their own? .. anyway the strategies in place here are malthusian to say the least with disruptive innovation, belch mulch deflate and listing limits restricting our sellthrough and visibilty whilst all the while paying relist and store fees for a barely viable sellthrough .. jeez I saw someone in the forums bragging about their 16% monthly sellthrough rate before .. that is pathetic yet somehow they are brainwashed to think it is wonderful .. lol .. what a joke this place has become and with the incrementalism in play not many of the froggies are getting out of the rapid boil .. many are just jumping back in!!! .. lol .. it should be wonderful when ebay brings in the compulsory free postage .. to improve the buyer experience .. them postage charges sure are confusing .. lol .. are we looking forward to the 30 day return policy for any reason .. including I need some milk money before payday caveat .. start preparing people as she is heating up (look forward to a few months of sustained panic selling as sellers head for the door .. love the competition that causes .. real good for the bottom line that it) and apparently the buyers are very confused but not by belch mulch deflate mind you .. no they love that apparently .. anyway some of us are really tired of being lied to and having our pockets incentivised in and are making other arrangements to avoid the continuos buyer confusion and the fallout from those nasty free listings .. lol .. its been large and think I have said everything I want to say .. so bring on the ebay and auspost apologists .. I need a laugh ..

Message 25 of 82
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

straybooksoz: jeez I see that the latest ebay store fee rise is probably going to wipe out your ebay business .. maybe a few of you book guys who know each other well enough to trust each other should join forces and set up a ebay store together otherwise it appears to me that many of you will be outa the game unless you have a plan b .. anyway best of luck with it all .. 😞

Message 26 of 82
Latest reply

x3n0m, I don't know who you are, or who you think you are, but we like to keep the Books Board a troll-free zone. If you can't post here without being nasty, please play elsewhere.

And if you want people to read your long posts, you might do well to learn how to make them into paragraphs.

Message 27 of 82
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

.. Sorry for disturbing the sanctity of your bookboard judy .. could I ask that perhaps you reread my post/s and point out where I am being a troll .. I am a little confused, I have no agenda here against the common man .. I am a very concerned Australian citizen .. I thought that would be clear but obviously not .. ..

Message 28 of 82
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

in an effort to redeem myself to the bookboard can I perhaps offer a second idea to help you .. what you need to do is export a container-load of books to a warehouse  in Singapore or England (jeez just about anywhere other than Australia .. third world countries are great cause of all the slave labour you can hire there) and then get your 50cents an hour lackey to redistribute them back to Australia from there via international postage to take advantage of the cheap postage the Universal Postage Union has bequeathed that us Aussies must subsidise for the entire rest of the world, that might help you become competitive but careful that the UPU (United Nations price fixing association) doesn't get wind of what is going on .. hope that helps some .. cheers ..

Message 29 of 82
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

but I got to apologise to judy-oz .. you were right I was trolling but in the true sense not the modern sense .. maybe you meant old school trolling and yeah that is most certainly the correct definition of trolling .. I admit to that .. but not the modern form of trolling .. that is not really my bag .. lol .. so I bow down .. if that is what you meant .. but didn't mean to offend anyone .. 'k? ..sorry if I done that .. I am just having a poke at the man ..a bit of theatre for you .. a little bit of drama in our lives .. hope I don't get slapped for this .. lol .. haha .. ha ./...:))

Message 30 of 82
Latest reply