Complaint handling policy/department

flyingphil172
Community Member

How does one lodge a formal complaint with Ebay and get a proper response?

I've noticed Ebay does not have a complaints handling policy.

They do not have any contact details for which to lodge a complaint.

Using the chat help simply yields an endless supply of anonymous people who provide little to no help.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Complaint handling policy/department

A few more details would help members to point you in the right direction.

What is the complaint about ?  Did you ask to speak to a supervisor when on the chats ? Did you even get transferred to a human CS rep ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

We definitely need more details.

Is it about a decision they made in a dispute or possibly some problem with Managed Payments or something else?

Yes, it is a bit frustrating to be transferred through to many people in live chat, but they should be able to find the right supervisor if you explain the problem in detail. Unfortunately, it is the only way to talk to them at the moment.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Is this in relation to the Gumtree-eBay fees, or another issue?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

flyingphil172
Community Member

My inquiry was about how one lodges an official complaint with Ebay. It was not to list my particular complaint.

Other organisations, particularly those that are online with high volumes of customers, normally have a complaints handling policy, often with contact details specifically to get in touch with staff that handle complaints.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Only these I reckon.

Otherwise everything else is handled within cases of INR/INAD

Report an issue with a buyer | eBay

Report an issue with a seller | eBay

If you lodge a complaint, their policy is not to reveal the outcome, so ???

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@flyingphil172,

eBay have specifically set up the whole process so as to put complaints at arms' length. Self-evidently, they prefer not to deal with complaints personally, if possible. This is why almost everything on eBay is automated.

Pre-pandemic, it was possible to phone eBay CS reps, or to have eBay CS reps call you. Now, contact from an eBay member to an eBay CS rep is almost exclusively via Live Chat. The standard of CS rep manning the chats is not very high, in terms of their level in the food chain, their expertise, ability to overturn decisions, act with autonomy, investigate non-standard situations, and/or provide remedies to complaints.

Members may possibly be able to request CS managers via Live Chat, but it will depend on the circumstances and the member's ability to communicate courteously and present a clear case.

There are other bodies to which complaints can be made, but the complaint may end up floating in the wind, or require more than one complaint, or give nothing but moral satisfaction, or not be the best way to handle the situation.

If you give even a vague idea of the situation about which you'd like to complain, the experienced responders here will at least have some basis for advising you about how best to proceed.

Complaints Window          Customer Service

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply