My father's ebay account got blocked for no reason.

Hi Ebay community.

I've been selling for many years and my father has needed his own account as he has entered retirement and gotten into hobbies.

However, for some reason, his account was permanently suspended. I can't see any reason why looking through his messages. He has sold through ebay so he doesn't have outstanding fees. Understandably, he's very upset because he just bought an item and was discussing postage and was about to pay when the account got locked.

Can someone please help with this?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I would suggest that something in those messages triggered the bot into thinking they were arranging an off-ebay purchase.

Are you sure it's permanent, and not just for a couple of weeks?

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

It's permanent. He can't send messages or anything. No warning either. He only sent a message discussing postal insurance costs and how the item was to be packed.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I'm hoping a ebay support member can help because I'm sure he didn't violate rules.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@artess97 wrote:

I'm hoping a ebay support member can help because I'm sure he didn't violate rules.

eBay CS reps don't read here, so you father would need to contact them directly through the link below - scroll to the bottom and use the "contact us" option. He's needs to ask to speak to a supervisor as soon as it's possible, otherwise he'll just get bot-generated replies.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/account/account-holds-restrictions-suspensions/account-holds-restrictio...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@artess97 wrote:

It's permanent. He can't send messages or anything. No warning either. 

I don't think it is permanent only because he can't send messages. I assume this also happens when accounts are suspended for a limited period of time. At any rate other people who posted here did usually get a message when their accounts got suspended, so it is weird your father didn't get a message or a warning about the suspension. Are you sure your father's account didn't get hacked or something and that that might be reason why he can't log in?

As already suggested, contact eBay CS. We are not eBay staff here. If your father needs to log in in order to contact eBay staff, contact them yourself and explain the situation. If this happened while he was discussing postage, it is indeed possible the bots misunderstood something, although if this is the case I didn't realize accounts now get suspended immediately without eBay looking into it.

I remember that many years ago I had asked for a "PayPal combined invoice", and my message could not be sent because eBay thought I was asking for a transaction outside eBay. I reworded my message and it went through and then nothing happened - no suspension or anything, so I assumed they looked at the message and realized I was not asking for a transaction outside eBay.

I think it is unlikely they would suspend an account without looking at what happened. Bots are unreliable, and they know themselves because somewhere they say "sometimes we make mistakes", or something like that, like when people exchange contact details to arrange for pickup and then get blocked.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply