popup authentication mediaplex

Is anyone else getting popups from mediaplex, requesting authentication and requiring another login?  I just keep hitting the "cancel" button, but this is getting annoying. General research is contradictary. Some say it is Malware, others say it is a tracking Cookie, harmless, but shows as Malware depending on what Security you have. I have cleared all cookies out done a full scan, showed nothing, gone to no other websites and yet this still persists, seems to just be on eBay.  Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: popup authentication mediaplex

Malawarebytes and Adaware are legitimate, free scanners. Which check for stuff that antivirus software doesn't.

I have Adblock and I ban popups, so maybe that's why I don't get annoyed by this.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

I think it started on Friday for me.
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

yeah theres nothing to fear from malware scanners.

They do a good job of keeping things clean and running better.

Try the free versions of malwarebytes, spybot S & D, adaware, superantispyware together with something like Ccleaner or glary utilities and you'll see a noticeable improvement if your PC is sluggish because of malware, junk/temp files, clogged registry and the like.

with my comment about posting this on the selling board, I didnt imply it had anything to do about actually selling on ebay,

i thought the post might get more exposure and replies in selling.
I personally rarely look in tech issues.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

I look at "recent topics", which is where this appears, it covers everything and saves putting the same post multiple times if more than one category applies.
Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

I have Adblock too but it's started popping up on my accounts too.

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

Anyone still having the popup?

could be coicidence but i added mediaplex.com  to the exceptions list for "accept third party cookies" in options and i havent had it since.

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

sorry that should've been the exceptions list for "accept cookies from websites"
under options / privacy & security in  firefox

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Seems a bit counter-intuitive.

You appear to have rewarded them for spamming you. There is no way I would allow them to install cookies on my machine, even though I have it set to not allow tracking details to be sent to third parties.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

Popups and lack of security are I believe an ebay management decision to allow while ignoring the rights of their clients.

Major problem with ebay security is that ebay (this was condifrmed by talking to them myself) have given permission for an Chinese company to access and record and utises everything in your account,.,,, 

the company is

Lithium technlogies

Literally if someone has carte blanche or power of atturney to act on your behalf then you are screwed to say the least.

Ebay did this without your permission and will not change it;

Sadly when speaking to tech support in ebay most of their staff could not even find these settigns and did not know about this information or existence of these "authorised  companies"

Account settings
Site preferences
General preferences
third-party authorisation
Show

and lithium keeps being allowed to "Act on your behalf"

think about it, they reset their access to your account "at will when they want to" and is allowed to do so by ebay making a deal with them. As acknowledged by their staff.

This company is completely based on making money on tracking you and they are allowed by ebay to access your account and change your preferences so that they can keep accessing your account in basically any way they want.  Even after you tag them and Revoke their authorisation.  Ebay allows them to swithc it back even after their staff state that their access to your account has no bearing upon running ebay smoothly on your system.  ie, it is unnnecessary access.

Even if they were harmless, and I do not believe they are, a back door is a hole in security that anyone can use.

AND I do not appreciate their deception in hiding this and this setting from everyone.
So yes if popups and malware and adware hassle you, in everything it is because if they can track you and your computer because ebay has set us up, then it is highly likely that this will roll on to your other personal info...
the community needs to do what is necessary. ie, contact them ring them hassle them like I did to change it and stop selling us out as if we are cattle to the slaughter.
Currently when I eventually found ebay staff who were aware of this matter, stated that noone else complains about it, (because they are not aware of it and most cant find it).

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

I believe Lithium are an American company. A reputable one.

They run the member boards, nothing else, and have done so for about 6 years. Which would tend to indicate that the mediaplex issue has nothing to do with them.

You could always stop using the boards.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply