Australian Tax Office requirements

Some time ago Ebay informed everyone that it must advise the ATO of all sellers that had sales in excess of $20,000 pa.  Recently I heard that the ATO has asked Ebay to advise them of all sellers that have sold in excess of $10,000 pa.  Has anyone else heard of this and if so when did Ebay send out the advice.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 96
Latest reply
95 REPLIES 95

Re: Australian Tax Office requirements

Granny, you are definitely a hobby seller going by the ATO guidelines given to me a few years ago.

I am a coin collector....have been since I was a little girl....and I also inherited coins from my grandmother and mother.  The ATO told me that it was hobby selling unless I bought multiples of the same coin and on sold some of them.

Message 51 of 96
Latest reply

I can't believe eBay have the hide to try to enforce the ATO. They are not paying tax themselves. It is an outrage!

Message 52 of 96
Latest reply

Bay is not enforcing anything....it is the ATO that is requesting the information from ebay and they legally cannot refuse to supply it.

It has nothing at all to do with ebay's tax status in Australia.

Message 53 of 96
Latest reply

I do realize that Lydal, but the way they say they are ''working together with the ATO'' is a bit ironic isn't it?

Message 54 of 96
Latest reply

@trusteduserid wrote:

I can't believe eBay have the hide to try to enforce the ATO. They are not paying tax themselves. It is an outrage!

Then this was a gee up?

Message 55 of 96
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Bay is not enforcing anything....it is the ATO that is requesting the information from ebay and they legally cannot refuse to supply it.

It has nothing at all to do with ebay's tax status in Australia.

Why can't they refuse to provide this information? eBay does not charge GST on it's fees as these are from eBay Switzerland and all eBay Australia does is provide support for this overses subsidiary. I suspect that it has more to do with eBay not wanting the ATO to come after it for tax avoidance - so they choose to give up their customers. Sort of like the latest data breach where eBay allowed all the personal information of 233 million customers to be stolen.

Message 56 of 96
Latest reply

The ATO has the power to request the details of any Australian taxpayer from any source.   Would you like to argue with the ATO?

There is no danger of the ATO coming after ebay for tax avoidance...they are not an Australian registered company.

I hardly think that ebay "allowed" the information to be stolen.....and no-one really knows how much information was stolen.

Message 57 of 96
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The ATO has the power to request the details of any Australian taxpayer from any source.   Would you like to argue with the ATO?

There is no danger of the ATO coming after ebay for tax avoidance...they are not an Australian registered company.

I hardly think that ebay "allowed" the information to be stolen.....and no-one really knows how much information was stolen.

The ATO has no power over foreign companies so please don't suggest that the ATO can do anything if they refuse.

As you said they are not an Australian registred company so why provide the information, the ATO can of course look how they operate in Australia and push for laws to be changed.

eBay did not encrypt the user data, they did not hash the passwords and they did not limit nor monitor access to user information so yes they did allow the information to be taken becuse they did not put anything in place to prevent it from occuring. It has been confirmed that all our personal information was stolen, you may not value your priivate information or credit rating but I value mine and I'm sure that others do as well.

Message 58 of 96
Latest reply

Today I received an Email from Ebay saying The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) has issued eBay with a formal request for information relating to sales by Australian eBay members who sold over $10,000 worth of goods on eBay.com.au during the tax year ending June 2014. I also was told by Ebay $20,000 Worth

Message 59 of 96
Latest reply

Yep I got the same message. Been researching it all last night. If you go to the ATO website, you will find that it is $10,000 this year.

Not sure how I got in. I sold just over $20,000 of stock, but only really mde about $5000 to $7000 with no other income. Could I be in

any sort of trouble???

Message 60 of 96
Latest reply