New Picture Requirements & impact to sellers

I run a couple of auto parts & accessories business's and ebay is one of our main channels for online sales. At present the ebay standard search does not show a sellers name unless selected as an option. Nor is there a brand field so it will appear in search. Given that auto parts in particular need quite a bit of descriptive text in the already limited space in the title as most customers (and we have surveyed them) really dont read the descritptions at all it is quite important that they can visually see 

1. The product

2. The brand

3. The seller 

These first three have by nearly all us parts and accessories sellers been incorporated into the images as the only method of visually displaying this. 

4. The title itself needs to accurately describe what the item is and what it fits. 

We have emebedded into every description a message with big (gif) moving eyes and the word "Look" asking the customer to verify their vehicles information so we can send the correct item. Less than 2% of them do and we then have to email or call them to confirm.(which we do and they like it) 

Further when people are buying as is clearly demonstrated in traditional retail stores people like to see the big brand signs, a good display and obviously the price. Online retail is no different. 

This policy effectively removes our ability to display a brand logo or our own logo as a trusted seller in the online space to the customer. 

When i buy from ebay sellers i like to viusally see in search the brand I'm buying especially when I'm looking for a well known brand. 

I think that ebay has got this totally wrong and that it will likley cause a significant sales drop in many categories as peopleare  either too time poor or simply too lazy to read the bulk of the descriptions we put in. Ebay's biggest seller uses heavy text and branding in all their images. And rightly so as it shows professionalism and branding. 

I am curious as to other thoughts about this. That last time ebay made such a radical change was several years ago when listing fees were too expensive for parts sellers to list all their inventory so we used the old store format instead. When they removed items in stores search from the main search our ebay business basically ended right there. When they changed a couple of years ago so BIN listings were free there was an immediate and huge increase in sales across the board in our category and ebay came alive for us again. Ebays own revenues in the category went up massively. 

As of now if we suffered any more than a 30% drop in our sales I would be forced to lay off several staff and possibly even leave ebay altogether. 

If ebay really want this policy they have to give us more title space, show our sellers id's at the very least in default search and either include extra but separate image fields for brand logos and store logos or at least a brand text field. Ebay have been trying hard to convince more big brands to come on board but by removing the ability to display their logos they will probably get lost among the fake items. Most big brands police the use of their logos carefully. We ensure we have written permission from all the brands we sell on or off ebay to use those logos for the purpose of selling genuine branded items. 

If other sellers agree that this new policy will be very detrimental then we need to voice our opinions to ebay on mass as unless we do nothing will change. Ebay is a great channel but I am very very fearful these changes are going to cripple many actual business's who deal as we do in major brands and provide a high level of service. There will be no way for the buyers to deliniate a quality seller from some backyard hack trying to make a quick buck without providing the service and back up support that we and many many other high quality sellers out there do. 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: New Picture Requirements & impact to sellers

@nobsh*t 'The good news is that Aust Sellers will probally be able to knock OS sellers out of market for not having exact products shown for sale as they tend to use the same photo across various user names.' I would like to think so too but have reported numerous os sellers for numerous rule violations but nothing seems to get done about it as they keep breaking the same rules over again! Its usually the high volume sellers yet if smaller sellers get reported they get the harsher treatment with auctions being cancelled etc ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

After removing our logo and any text we may have had on on our listings which took a great deal of time I notice that most of my competitors still display their logos, names, borders and text.  Is this not now against eBay policies?  I am annoyed that they are still able to display and advertise their business name and logo to make it easier for buyers to find them and yet I have complied with the policy change.  When is eBay going to take measures to address the issue that many sellers have not complied with this policy or am I missing something?  

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Probably never.

They don't have the staff to police it.

It will  be policed on an as reported basis, & only if the staff member thinks they have nothing better to do ... like having a coffee break.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

I have spent literally hundreds of thousands of dollars making our listings stand out. I myself have also spent the last year redoing my listings over and over again with all these policy changes, now they spring this on us! What a stupid move when amazon in Australia is 5 minutes away. And they allow foreigners to sell on OUR ebay site AUS and claim they are in Australia but obviously are not no matter how much they get reported.

We pay Ebay 70k per year in fees and now with sponsered listings even more will go out. Key words and professional looking listings count for nothing now just pay extra to get on the first page, even if you sell 20 items a month you can be on the first page. As long as you pay ebay more and more. So much for keeping it equal or looking after their main money earners.

Gumtree is looking better everyday to me, and now people can pay through there. Oh but wait EBay own that too.

What a joke!

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

ej hasn't posted on, or even logged in to, the boards in the last 3 years.

And your issues with the current eBay policies have nothing to do with the issues from 3 years ago.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I sell some photo's so I mark photos to prevent buyers from copying the photo and not buying it..If I cant mark them ,

people may be missing out on some rare photos that arnt on the internet.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

And your issues with the current eBay policies have nothing to do with the issues from 3 years ago.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

The main reason sellers are putting info in the pictures is mobile shoppers. 70% of buyers now use mobiles phones acording to Ebay and the best way to quickly tell a story about your product and on a mobile is in pictures. you have 12 chances for a potential buyer to swipe right (scroll thru) the pics of your listing and make a decision to buy. If you ahven't piqued a buyers interest and provided sufficient info with you they will not bother with stuff like item descriptions or specifics etc.

Happy for the policy to state the first picture must be clean as per Googles policy, but having specific important info in your subsequent  pictures such as dimensions and features is a must in the mobile age. Rather than ban it completely Ebay would be smarter to designate a specific area like the bottom 10% of the area for a max of 30-40 characters to provide picture specific details with mobile users in mind.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply