Seller wanting reimbursement if lost item shows up?

I bought from a seller listed as being in Australia. I was sent the tracking (and soon realised it was in fact coming from China) but the tracking has been listed as “pending” for the last 6 weeks. The seller has agreed to refund me but has asked- in the event that it shows up- that I pay for the item or send it back. 
Does this sound scammy?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

So you are asking if the item shows up that you have been refunded for, can you keep the refund and the item, and want to know if the seller is being scammy?

Is that correct?

Rather than answer a question with a question I'll just answer your question. 

No, it doesn't sound "scammy." It sounds like a vendor who knows their postal system is problematical, and as a consequence delays happen. You haven't gone into detail about the item, but if it arrives, say, months later and you still have a use for it you probably - from a moral and ethical point of view - should pay for it. If it's an item, say, that you needed for a project and you had to source a replacement item elsewhere I don't think in that circumstance you should have to pay for it. Some may argue that if it arrived months and months later you wouldn't be expected to pay for it because the vendor isn't in fact honoring the contract in terms of stated estimated delivery times. But why are you asking Club eBay to answer this question? Common Sense combined with your moral and ethical compass is all you need to find the answer.